AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I captured, edited and burned a home movie from my old Digital8 camcorder to DVD+r using Pinnacle Studio 12, but when I play it on my PS3 it won't upscale.

I am using component cables, but for unencrypted DVD+r's that shouldn't matter (I am able to upscale a DVD that I ripped to DVD+r a while ago with great results). I have also tried each of the upscaling options on the PS3, and none work. It always goes back to 480p.

Anyone know why? Should I not be burning with Pinnacle Studio? What program should I use? (I forgot what I used to burn that DVD that works )

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
You can't upconvert DVDs over analog cables on the PS3 bro. HDMI only.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just plain not true.

You just can't upconvert ENCRYPTED DVDs through component.

I ripped and unencrypted a commercial DVD that upconverts perfectly (read my post)

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 /forum/post/18283270

I ripped and unencrypted a commercial DVD that upconverts perfectly (read my post)

Try the dvd you were able to upscale a while back. If you can still upscale it, i'd say it's a burning software issue. If you can't upscale it still, they may have changed this in a firmware update.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 /forum/post/18283270

You are correct...but maybe they did change something in the firmware? Here's the text copied from the online manual.

Quote:
Hints

To use this feature, a TV that is compatible with HD input and output must be connected using an HDMI or component AV cable. Also, the video output setting of the PS3 system must be set to 1080p, 1080i, or 720p.

When playing copyright-protected DVD content such as commercially available DVD-Video, an HDMI cable is required to upscale the video content.

For Blu-ray Discs, this option can only be used when the disc is recorded in BDAV format. BDAV is a Blu-ray Disc video format. Generally, when video content is recorded on BD-R or BD-RE media using a Blu-ray Disc recorder, the content is recorded in BDAV format. You cannot use this feature on video content recorded in BDMV format. Note that most commercially available BD-ROM media now on the market are recorded in BDMV format.

If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].

source:
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...dsettings.html

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmoosettu /forum/post/18284475

Try the dvd you were able to upscale a while back. If you can still upscale it, i'd say it's a burning software issue. If you can't upscale it still, they may have changed this in a firmware update.

Yes, the older DVD still scales

I also burned a new disc with different software and have the same results... this is really bugging me!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
sounds like the dvd you are making isn't dvd-compliant. it has to be 720x480.

what resolution and codec did you capture in?

what resolution and codec did you edit in?

what resoluton did you author in?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18291887

sounds like the dvd you are making isn't dvd-compliant. it has to be 720x480.

what resolution and codec did you capture in?

what resolution and codec did you edit in?

what resoluton did you author in?

I ran both the working disc and not working disc thru a program called GSPOT. The non working disc is in 720x480 and appears to be close to the settings of the working disc.

Here are the differences:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts