AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Blu-ray - 1080i

PS3 games will be in 720p or 1080i. Your tv supports 720p I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

Blu-ray - 1080i

PS3 games will be in 720p or 1080i. Your tv supports 720p I'm sure.

so who's having problems with 480p viewing with the ps3? i thought it was only the CRT's

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have this combo. Blu-ray movies and games are displayed at 1080i. SD dvds and ps2 games are displayed at 480p (ps2 games look better on the ps2 though). Unfortunately, no crt displays 720p (except, of course, computer monitors). Still looks fantastic though!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/0

I have this combo. Blu-ray movies and games are displayed at 1080i. SD dvds and ps2 games are displayed at 480p (ps2 games look better on the ps2 though). Unfortunately, no crt displays 720p. Still looks fantastic though!!

got bluray pix?

why arent there any xbr960 or crt's running bluray movie pix around?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not an AV guru. So any help appreciated. Just Got a PS3 60gb. Hooked it up to my samsung HLN 756 dlp Tv with a HDMI>DVI cable. the system works perfectly on the 2 games we have so far. I set the video settings to 480p and 720p (the max for my TV) and unchecked 1080i and 1080p. The set would not recognise the 1080i or p signal via the DVI. supposedly it can accept a 1080i signal with the component inputs.

Now the problem:

When I play a DVD movie i get a small picture in the middle of the screen, not the full screen. The games use the full screen. Is this the upscaling issue people have been talking about? I havent tried a Blue ray disk yet. Am i just an idiot and have it set wrong?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawless55 /forum/post/0

I am not an AV guru. So any help appreciated. Just Got a PS3 60gb. Hooked it up to my samsung HLN 756 dlp Tv with a HDMI>DVI cable. the system works perfectly on the 2 games we have so far. I set the video settings to 480p and 720p (the max for my TV) and unchecked 1080i and 1080p. The set would not recognise the 1080i or p signal via the DVI. supposedly it can accept a 1080i signal with the component inputs.

Now the problem:

When I play a DVD movie i get a small picture in the middle of the screen, not the full screen. The games use the full screen. Is this the upscaling issue people have been talking about? I havent tried a Blue ray disk yet. Am i just an idiot and have it set wrong?

Thanks in advance.

The PS3 won't output Blu-ray at 720p (not yet at least) so you have to feed the TV 1080i via component if your DVI doesn't support it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sorry, no pix. I'm not sure a still shot would look very good compared to the 1080p fixed pixel displays out there now (just wouldn't be quite as vivid and detailed). But I think the overall picture on the 960 is still a little superior (might be rationalizing -- lcd, plasma and lcos have come a long,long way). I think you will be very happy if you purchase a ps3 -- it's a bargain considering everything it does (and does WELL).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

Sorry, no pix. I'm not sure a still shot would look very good compared to the 1080p fixed pixel displays out there now (just wouldn't be quite as vivid and detailed). But I think the overall picture on the 960 is still a little superior (might be rationalizing -- lcd, plasma and lcos have come a long,long way). I think you will be very happy if you purchase a ps3 -- it's a bargain considering everything it does (and does WELL).

well i have the hddvd addon "VGA" and a ps3 "HDMI" running on a olevia 42 inch lcd, as far as im concerned "CRANK" on blueray and "CORPSE BRIDE" on HD it looks outstanding..

but i've always heard that the xbr960 was still heads and shoulders better than anything else on the market
...still til this day!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My mistake... I had assumed you already owned the xbr960 and was contemplating the ps3, not the other way around (could have sworn I recognized your username from the crt forums). Have you come across a good deal on an xbr960 or something? I thought they were exceedingly hard to find these days.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

My mistake... I had assumed you already owned the xbr960 and was contemplating the ps3, not the other way around (could have sworn I recognized your username from the crt forums). Have you come across a good deal on an xbr960 or something? I thought they were exceedingly hard to find these days.

YES..

this local store by me has a xbr960 on clearence in fabulous condition for $899.99 no remote

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Hmmm... that's a toughie. The xbr series has a lot of features and I don't know if a universal remote would cut it for me. Maybe Sony could send you a replacement? It is a a good price though -- maybe you should get some more opinions in the crt forum. Also, it might be difficult going from a 42" to a 34" screen (no matter how good the PQ is).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

Hmmm... that's a toughie. The xbr series has a lot of features and I don't know if a universal remote would cut it for me. Maybe Sony could send you a replacement? It is a a good price though -- maybe you should get some more opinions in the crt forum. Also, it might be difficult going from a 42" to a 34" screen (no matter how good the PQ is).

would the 60inch sxrd be in the same ball park with the xbr960?

that could be had for 2,200.00

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:

Now the problem:

Thanks in advance.

Is it displaying DVDs in 4:3 with the side black bars? If so, I had the same exact problem. I have a Sony CRT KV 34XBR800 (earlier version of TV mentioned above). . .I was HDMI/DVI connection. It displayed hi-def content fine but would not display DVDs correctly. I had numerous conversations with Sony over this and finally got to someone who was knowledgeable. In short, I wasn't able to use the DVI and get 480p DVDs to play. So I switched to the AV/Component connection. Using this will give you all your hi-def and play DVDs correctly. It did cause another problem for me, that was eventually solved as well. . .it's been a saga, but everything works great now. If only Sony would train their techs better these issues could be handled a lot quicker. . .

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbloodline /forum/post/0

would the 60inch sxrd be in the same ball park with the xbr960?

that could be had for 2,200.00

In my opinion ... yes. Any small advantage in PQ the xbr960 has over the 60" sxrd is negated by the huge difference in screen size. If I were buying a TV today, the 60" sxrd would definitely be on my short list of candidates (I paid about the same amount for my 960). However, I am not sure how often the bulb has to be replaced or how much it costs. If you do a lot of off-axis viewing, maybe a plasma would be better suited to you ... just a few factors to consider.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:

Now the problem:

Thanks in advance.

you need to check the 1080i. games will play in 720p and movies will be 1080i. looks great.works great. even though the tv is 720p the movies look better fed at 1080i and scaled by my tv to 720p and for games it plays at 720p. the 360 you cant do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.