AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
There is a sticky thread on how to choose a Blu-Ray player:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

If you have a receiver that can accept high bandwidth, multi-channel HDMI LPCM and "do the right thing" with it, then personally, I recommend the 40GB PS3 (and *ONLY* that specific PS3 model) as a Blu-Ray player -- presuming you want to buy today. Plan to also get an IR2BT remote control converter if you like using a programmable remote like the Logitech Harmony.

Note that I recommend it ONLY as a Blu-Ray player. I recommend you continue to use a traditional player for playing other discs, such as standard DVDs.

If your receiver can not accept HDMI LPCM input, but DOES have multi-channel analog inputs, then the PS3 is not for you as it does not have multi-channel analog audio outputs. I do not have a recommendation for a player with analog outputs.

This is a rapidly evolving market. Your choices will change between now and the end of the year.

--Bob

·
Registered
400 Posts
yes! today and 3 years from now
Its a computer that gets updates when new things come out. Though currently it decodes all the lossless codecs and does 1080p and is 2.0 compliant. I am not sure what else we could want, though I am sure it will come up. The only time I would suggest a diffrent player (and none are currently out) Is if you have an older higher end amp that only has analog inputs.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Ps3

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14189994

There is a sticky thread on how to choose a Blu-Ray player:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

If you have a receiver that can accept high bandwidth, multi-channel HDMI LPCM and "do the right thing" with it, then personally, I recommend the 40GB PS3 (and *ONLY* that specific PS3 model) as a Blu-Ray player -- presuming you want to buy today. Plan to also get an IR2BT remote control converter if you like using a programmable remote like the Logitech Harmony.

Note that I recommend it ONLY as a Blu-Ray player. I recommend you continue to use a traditional player for playing other discs, such as standard DVDs.

If your receiver can not accept HDMI LPCM input, but DOES have multi-channel analog inputs, then the PS3 is not for you as it does not have multi-channel analog audio outputs. I do not have a recommendation for a player with analog outputs.

This is a rapidly evolving market. Your choices will change between now and the end of the year.

--Bob

just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend it for SD DVD?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I recommend it for SD DVD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth,the ps3 is a great player,but it crushes blacks,so if black level is important to you then i would go with a standalone player.

Tom

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 /forum/post/14206286

just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend it for SD DVD?

Several reasons: No HDMI 480i output -- this is particularly a problem for folks who need to use an external scaler, as for example folks using CIH projection setups. Up-scaling of SD DVDs has been widely reported to be one of the more processor intensive functions in the PS3, thus increasing the odds the fan will need to turn on and produce too much noise. No ability to auto-switch between LPCM output for Blu-Ray and bitstream for SD DVDs. Peculiarities in aspect ratio control. Inability to correctly detect "film mode cadence" for de-interlacing when the imaging gets too detailed. Concerns that the quality of up-scaling has gotten worse in the V2.20 and V2.30 firmware releases.

Primarily it is because I don't think Sony has SD DVD as a priority yet. Their approach at the moment is better than treating it as a mere "check off item", but not as good as treating it as a competitive advantage. The same is true for every other Blu-Ray player maker at the moment. When feature changes in Blu-Ray playback start to slow down (perhaps next year), THAT'S when you should expect to find new, "universal" players being launched that are really good across the board. At the moment it is premature, in my opinion, to believe you can get top notch Blu-Ray *AND* top notch legacy formats playback together in one player.

And since top notch NON Blu-Ray players are available at such reasonable prices these days, it just makes more sense to use 2 players at the moment -- if you care about best quality SD DVD playback.

--Bob

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the response. I hadn't looked too much into the PS3 upscaling as I already have an A2 which does a pretty good job (even though I do think my TV does an even better job) The few responses I had seen was that with the latest firmware, it was on par with the HD DVD players

1 - 9 of 9 Posts