AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader to the AVS forum, I have absorded a ridiculous amount of knowledge from this site. Hoping to see if anyone has any experience with a recent issue I'm having. Here is my setup:

Pioneer vsx-9040 TXh receiver.

Output HDMI splitter to

-Epson 8350 and

-LG 42" LK model flat screen HDTV this HDMI stretch is something like 40'

The problem I have is with playing Call of Duty on the big screen vs. the HDTV.

The controller is significantly more responsive on the projector than the HDTV. There seems to be a lag with using the controller.

My thoughts are that the issue could be either

-the longer cable length.

-The blue tooth contoller (The TV is actually only about 30' from the

playstaion, and the controller should be good up to

something like 60'.)

-The HDMI splitter

-Just the design of the TV introducing processing delays adding to a

laggy "feel" even though it is a 120 hz tv.

Anyone ever had this experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LG has what's called Tru Motion. I didn't even think about that, when you brought it up I figured that would solve the problem but I went and turned it off and it still seems to be lagging.

I have the hdmi passing through the receiver so the receiver should not be adding to any processing delays.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Is this correct?

PS3 -> Receiver -> splitter -> projector and TV

The lag is not due to cable length or bluetooth distance. These signals travel at practically the speed of light. You cannot tell the difference.

The lag is likely not due to the splitter. It's just a mechanical connection, and shouldn't favor one output vs the other. Unless both display devices lag, which they don't.

Same for the receiver.

The only divergence in your signal path is with the display devices themselves. The LG lags, the Epson doesn't. Is there a "game mode" in the LG? Any other video processing features that you can turn off?

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts
Use the LG's input ID menu and name an HDMI port PC. Also use game AV mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/20820802

Is this correct?

PS3 -> Receiver -> splitter -> projector and TV

The lag is not due to cable length or bluetooth distance. These signals travel at practically the speed of light. You cannot tell the difference.

The lag is likely not due to the splitter. It's just a mechanical connection, and shouldn't favor one output vs the other. Unless both display devices lag, which they don't.

Same for the receiver.

The only divergence in your signal path is with the display devices themselves. The LG lags, the Epson doesn't. Is there a "game mode" in the LG? Any other video processing features that you can turn off?

Yes your summary is correct.

The only thing is that there is a different set of processes that are running on the signal from the ps3:

When I use the HDTV, I have to set the receiver in BYPASS mode.

When I play through the projector, I set the receiver to AMP mode, and the receiver does all of the processing.

I do this so that I can use the surround sound speakers for the projector, but just use the HDTV speakers for watching regular tv. I am going to get a set of L/R audio cables eventually and stretch them out to the tv so that I can use the preout of the receiver. But for now I just have one hdmi cable running, so I have to bypass the receiver.

I wonder if that my be the problem.

Or maybe the tv just lags.

Thanks for the input, think i'm off or am I on the right track?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 /forum/post/20820876

Use the LG's input ID menu and name an HDMI port PC. Also use game AV mode.

How would naming an input make any difference?

I will try game mode to see if that makes a difference but I think that's just going to change the color and trumotion settings which I've already tried.

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwverzwy /forum/post/20821820

I will try game mode to see if that makes a difference but I think that's just going to change the color and trumotion settings which I've already tried.

Renaming the input also changes the setting associated with it. It has different menus etc. Change it to PC and then look at your adjustment options.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwverzwy /forum/post/20821820

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 /forum/post/20822464

Renaming the input also changes the setting associated with it. It has different menus etc. Change it to PC and then look at your adjustment options.

I had the same thing on my Samsung 650. I hooked my pc up via HDMI and it was crappy. Changed the name to PC and perfecto. It explains more in the manual.

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 /forum/post/20823712

I had the same thing on my Samsung 650. I hooked my pc up via HDMI and it was crappy. Changed the name to PC and perfecto. It explains more in the manual.

Unfortunately, the LG manuals are poorly designed. They are oversized setup guides and do not explain any of the features at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Renaming the input to PC worked beautifully. Thanks for everyone's input. I noticed that it seems to be just right on PC. Interestingly, it's better than when you put it on game.

Either way thanks a lot for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.