AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 2002 model Toshiba rear projection set with a max resolution of 1080i and no HDMI inputs. He is using a progressive scan DVD player right now (no upconversion).

If he were to get a PS3 and connect it to this set via component cables, would he notice a difference in picture quality when upconverting standard DVD's or viewing Blu-ray's? My guess is that he would, but would it be enough to justify purchasing a PS3 now versus waiting until he upgrades his TV.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff

· Registered
824 Posts
if it only supports 480 and 1080i with no 720p support, i'd say upgrade the tv first. you'll run into situations where the ps3 will only output games that run at 720p at 480 if your tv doesn't support 720p.

· Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMarg /forum/post/12875745

My brother has a 2002 model Toshiba rear projection set with a max resolution of 1080i and no HDMI inputs. He is using a progressive scan DVD player right now (no upconversion).

If he were to get a PS3 and connect it to this set via component cables, would he notice a difference in picture quality when upconverting standard DVD's or viewing Blu-ray's? My guess is that he would, but would it be enough to justify purchasing a PS3 now versus waiting until he upgrades his TV.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff

I believe the PS3 only upconverts DVDs when it's connected via HDMI. Component cables disable the upconvert to 480p (your current progressive scan).

IMO, I'd wait for it... but if the PS3's ps2 game compatibility is an issue, you should snag one up now (80gb model). It's supposedly being scrapped so the 40gb will be the only one available (at least it's happening in Japan... so it may happen here).

· Registered
3,947 Posts
Sounds like a CRT rear projection set. That's what I use and it's been my experience that upscaling doesn't have much effect. But I guess it varies from TV to TV depending on how good it's scaler is. Blu-rays on the other hand should look fantastic at 1080i.

If he's planning on getting a PS3 only for movies I'd wait and upgrade the TV first.

· Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xravexboix /forum/post/12875799

I believe the PS3 only upconverts DVDs when it's connected via HDMI. Component cables disable the upconvert to 480p (your current progressive scan).

That is correct. The PS3 will not upconvert DVDs over component, only over HDMI (due to a rights issue).

Blu-rays, however, will still output at 1080i. They'll look great.

But I'm going to hazard a guess and assume that his display can't accept a 720p resolution. This isn't a problem for BD-Rs, but it is a problem if he ever decides he wants to start gaming.

I'll back what others here are saying and tell you to tell your brother to wait until after he upgrades his display.

· Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/12875941

If he's planning on getting a PS3 only for movies I'd wait and upgrade the TV first.

My personal opinion is that the above statement should read, "If he's planning on getting a PS3 only for movies, I'd say pick one up now. If he plans on using the PS3 for games and movies, upgrade the TV first."

-Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.