AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just replaced an Onkyo 606(was going to return) and hooked up the Marantz Sr4002. Ps3 is giving me a pink screen.

everything is HDMI, setup is:

Directv HR-20i DVR (which works fine, no pink tint)

ps3 (pink tint)

Marantz SR4002

Sharp DT-510 front pj

Why is the ps3 giving me a pink picture through the Marantz sr4002 and not the Onkyo? Its not the HDMI cable, I switched and put the cable running from the HR20 to receiver and it does pink to, yet works with the hr20.

any help? Do I need to look for latest firmware?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, can anyone tell me what is going on with this thing?

and direct me to figuring out if I need a Firmware upgrade and how to get it and install it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Power everything off, then turn it back on in this order: source, AVR, then TV.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansp6 /forum/post/15559529

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Power everything off, then turn it back on in this order: source, AVR, then TV.

since its a front Projector, I assume that means turn the projector on last.

any reason this would happen on the Marantz 4002 and not the Onkyo 606? Or is it all about the HDMI cables?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Projetcor 1st, then AVR, Make sure the AVR has the selected source, then power on the source.

If that doesn't fix it, do the same thing, but unplug everything for like 20 to 30 min and try it again.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try it tonight, I definitely did the pj last yesterday. Never had this problem with the onkyo though.

also, is this somethign to worry about everytime I turn it on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
So which is it:

1) Source, AVR, TV or

2) TV, AVR (select source), then TV

Or were those instructions specifically for jpniner because he has projector ?

Also, is this because of a power lock issue or just a handshake?

Thanks.................

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/15561702

Projetcor 1st, then AVR, Make sure the AVR has the selected source, then power on the source.

If that doesn't fix it, do the same thing, but unplug everything for like 20 to 30 min and try it again.

well I did that, and same pink screen with ps3 only(switched over to TV via HR20 and no problems).

I'll try the 'unplug everything for 30 minutes' solution, but assuming that doesn't work were do I go next?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep no dice, any other suggestions?

It has something to do with switching receivers obviously, anything about the SR4002 that would cause this?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I should add that the HDMI cable is 35' long and running from Receiver to Projector. Only thing I know to do is to directly connect thta cable to the ps3 and see if its still pink, then I'd know its something wrong inside the Marantz receiver and not the cables, correct?

I don't think the hdmi cable from ps3 to receiver is the problem.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Not sure.. MY SR7001 works well with the PS3....

I still think it's just HDMI wierdenss. I am surprised the unplug thing didn't work. It sort of resets the HDMI ports to renegotiate HDCP from scratch.

Video resolution has no bearing as well? 1080p especially can and is still dicey for many people.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ps3 should be sending out 720p or 1080i.

I've got a new Monoprice HDMI cable on the way, maybe that will fix. It has something to do with the ps3 though since the DirectTV works fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15579145

ps3 should be sending out 720p or 1080i.

I've got a new Monoprice HDMI cable on the way, maybe that will fix. It has something to do with the ps3 though since the DirectTV works fine.

Hey "jpniner" , I do not have a solution to your problem, but a question.

Do you get OSD with your 4002 via HDMI ? Or do you also have to use optical. Do you use both at the same time?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k huntin /forum/post/15579230

Hey "jpniner" , I do not have a solution to your problem, but a question.

Do you get OSD with your 4002 via HDMI ? Or do you also have to use optical. Do you use both at the same time?

I currently have everything connected via HDMI and I don't get OSD. I think the booklet says you only get it with analog video or s-video connection.

My projector is mounted and I don't have any of those cables long enough to reach so I'm doing it blindly, which is a pain.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think this is SR4002 issue, but not 100% since it happened after swapping out receivers.

I unplugged everything including cables for over an hour than tried again, pink ps3 but TV was fine.

I then tried the long HDMI to the Projector to ps3 straight, pink screen.

Then I unhooked the ps3 and took my 6ft HDMI cord and connected it directly to Projector, pink screen.

Finally I tried the other cables(non-hdmi) for the ps3 directly to projector and no pink screen.

So its something to do with HDMI, in an hour I'm trying the 6ft HDMI straight connection to Projector to see if I have same problem. If I do, I will assume the HDMI port on the ps3 is busted

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you have to look into the settings, rather then the hardware. You plugged the PS3 directly to the projector and you still experience a pink picture. Was your Onkyo hooked up via HDMI also? You may have to set the PS3 to output via HDMI. I am not familiar with the PS3 menu, so you have to just check and see. May say RGB or something else.

Have you ever hooked up a DVD player with component cables that is set for output on composite or s-video? It will display a pinkish picture. This also happens with cable boxes if you set it for standard def in the hd setup wizard. Same principle. That is where I would be spending my time checking if I were you.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd /forum/post/15607999

I think you have to look into the settings, rather then the hardware. You plugged the PS3 directly to the projector and you still experience a pink picture. Was your Onkyo hooked up via HDMI also? You may have to set the PS3 to output via HDMI. I am not familiar with the PS3 menu, so you have to just check and see. May say RGB or something else.

Have you ever hooked up a DVD player with component cables that is set for output on composite or s-video? It will display a pinkish picture. This also happens with cable boxes if you set it for standard def in the hd setup wizard. Same principle. That is where I would be spending my time checking if I were you.

I am as far from being an expert in this area as anyone can be, but, he said his set up is too far from his monitor to run S-video cable, so he does not have OSD. I know all the setting and adjustments ( at least on the 5002) can not be made from the unit, hence, the problem might be solvled by getting into the OSD adjustments some how.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd /forum/post/15607999

with some help via the PS3 as a blu-ray player thread, I got this fixed finally. It is not really a SR4002 issue. It was the RGB/Component settings on the Sharp Projector. It was just that the Onkyo never gave me this problem with same settings, probably because it has more advanced HDMI in it than the SR4002?

I had to change settings in the ps3 and on the Projector to RGB basically, it works now with everything. I think I'll keep the SR4002 now and return the Onkyo 606(runs too hot for my 12'x12' theater room

1 - 19 of 19 Posts