AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the Win7 RC1, and I've set up my sharing and PS3 to play MP3s from it.

But something else happened. All of my TV recordings (at least in unprotected .WTV format, including HD) are now playable on my PS3

So, at least now the PS3 has some basic Extender features.

Now, I think some transcoding is happening on my PC as it only uploads 8.5Mbit/s for HD shows. Normally, it will do 16-18Mb/s to my X360 Extender. So, there is some quality difference, but the HD shows still look quite good. Also I can't pause and forward/rewind, but it does at least PLAY the TV shows!

So, if you don't have a 360, the PS3 seems to offer at least some Extender functionality when it comes to recorded TV shows in WTV format.

It does not, however, play the shows recorded via my CableCARD tuner on my PC. I think this is a bit much to ask (they do play on the 360 Extender, though).

Let me add how much I think Windows7 rocks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
But, what is transcoding/serving to your PS3? Media Player? i find it odd that the PS3 which can have problems with basic codecs (like .avi) without transcoding (and i emphasize the CAN not DOES) can see the data on a totally new extension.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, WTV (just like DVR-MS before it) is merely an MPEG2 wrapper.

It's not that the PS3 can see an all new extension, it is likely Windows7 that is converting the file to MPEG2 on the fly (at a lower bitrate) for the PS3 (and I would assume many other DLNA media streaming devices).

Basically, I don't think this is the result of a Sony effort...I doubt MS would even license them a WTV decoder...This seems to be a feature of Win7 and other media players (besides the PS3) can probably take advantage of this, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts