·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the setup I have:

TV - Mitsubishi WD-73831

Receiver - Yamaha RX-V661

PS3

Everything is being run through HDMI. However, I have been slightly disapointed with the PQ of the BD. I have compared the same movies on BD and SD-DVD and I obviously see that BD is visually better, but it's not as good as I thought it would be, especially when I compare it to the store displays.

I also think that my Comcast 1080i HD broadcasts look better then the 1080p visuals on the PS3 BD. Is this correct? Are there any settings I can tweak on the PS3 to get an improved PQ.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The output is set to automatic and 1080p is on the list.

I have compared Resident Evil: Apoclaypse, X-Men 3, and Black Hawk Down.

The PS3 games look beautiful but I haven't been as impressed with the BD movies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try 1080i just for the heck of it, I had the same problem with the my RUBY projector. I know 1080p is supposed to look the best but it makes the picture quite a bit softer and less detailed to my eyes. I have experimented back and forth extensively with these settings (1080i/1080p) with both my PS3 and my XA2. Resident E looked pretty good and X-MEN 3 was night and day compared to the SD DVD version. Even in the theater I wasn't real impressed with PQ of X3 but on BLU RAY I was blown away, just my own opinion.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Justin's advice is good. Also the quality difference will be very disc dependent. Although in my opinion Black Hawk Down is excellent. Kindgom of Heaven and Tears of the Sun are good reference discs. By the way, the PQ of POTC is supposed to be outstanding. Just stay away from The Fifth Element by all means (at least until the new "Version that doesn't suck" is re-released).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.