AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has tried Playstation 3 or 4 gaming and movies on their "4K" or UltraHD TV: if so, could you share some of your experience?

I would like to know:

• Model of TV
  • Title and medium that you viewed: game, DVD, blu-ray, Netflix, etc.
  • If you were gaming, did you set to a special mode to reduce display lag?
  • What did you find were good and bad about upscaled media from a Playstation to a UHD display?
I realize that low resolution material will be a challenge to any upscaler and impact display time, but I'd like to hear what people like and dislike because I'm evaluating for the future. I haven't seen a UHD display connected to a Playstation demo in any store yet, not even Sony Style.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You have to be closer than 1.5x the diagonal span of the screen to even see a difference between 1080p and 4K, so it's kind of pointless outside of computer monitors, giant projectors, and VR. Living room TVs will see no benefit.

- Jer

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You have to be closer than 1.5x the diagonal span of the screen to even see a difference between 1080p and 4K, so it's kind of pointless outside of computer monitors, giant projectors, and VR. Living room TVs will see no benefit.

- Jer
I sit within 7.5 feet of my tv. I bet a lot of people do to. Thats for a 60 inch tv.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I sit within 7.5 feet of my tv. I bet a lot of people do to. Thats for a 60 inch tv.
Most people sit 7-10 feet from their TV. You're correct that visible 4K on a 60" TV would be just barely inside the bottom end of that range. If the TV were any smaller, or if you sat anywhere other than the nearest end of that range, it would not be a visible difference. So for the vast majority of non-projection TV viewers, what I said would hold true.

- Jer

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a UHD Samsung 8550, 4K Netflix looks amazing better than reg HD on Netflix, looks atleast as good as Blu Ray if not a bit better (sharper). I bought a 4K only cause I broke my screen on my Panny plasma ST60, 4k TV looks overall sharper than the Panny and although the blacks on the 4K are great it's not as good as the ST60, I notice no lag issues on this set.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd love to know that the PS4 wouldn't be downgraded if hooked up to a 4k set that upscales the content.
Why would it be downgrade if it's being upscaled to 4k? Nothing looks downgrade just beautiful and sharpe, same with Blu Rays or TV, never had any complains with picture and its up scaling.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
scaling is bad. You are not seeing the sharpest possible picture with ANY scaling. Scaling introduces image degradation, blurring, lag etc. And that is why 4k is a mistake and will always be until 4k content is a regular standard.

Even 1080p isn't a standard for games or tv yet...so....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@jhaines : My thought experiment for the next TV will likely be 65"+ and UHD, so I would likely be able to benefit from UHD and upscaled content in our living room. My other thought experiment are the recent 27"+ 60Hz 4K computer monitors at a desk, but these probably do not upscale nicely if at all. The PS4 could, in theory, output [email protected] gaming over HDMI 1.4, I don't know if anyone has tried that.

@newfmp3 : I agree that pure 4x scaling from HD to UHD wouldn't be a benefit, however UHD TVs up-scale, where mathematical interpolations and other enhancements approximate UHD. This is how the majority of content on UHD TVs will be viewed because native UHD content (computers, Sony 4K media server, 4K BluRay, photos, 4K Netflix/YouTube/DirecStar/etc.) are the minority or are still coming for the living room market today. Given that, people are going to hook up consoles to UHD TVs and see upscaled results.

My concern is around gaming: will upscaling plus whatever the native panel display response time introduce too much lag for UHD gaming with a PS3/PS4? I hope to gather some feedback!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for your response; have you tried console gaming yet?
Yup, playing far cry 4 on it and no issues, picture looks amazing, no lag or other issues others are saying. People said the same bs when 1080P was new, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I'm coming from a 1080P Panny ST60 plasma and I'm very happy with this 4k TV and notice nothing wrong with scaling lag or other issue others bringing up.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Why pay extra for UHD when there's barely any content at that resolution these days, I'd go for it when 4k blu-rays are common at the very least. Maybe it's worth if you have an amazing gaming PC that's capable of gaming smoothly at that resolution.

For the time being IMO it's just best to use 1080p since most content run at that resolution and you don't need to bother with unnecessary upscaling. 720p doesn't look better on my 1080p set and I'm positive 1080p wouldn't look any better on a UHD set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 55 inch UHD Samsung i just got last week works great krystal clear have my ps3 ps4 connected to it with my yamaha HTR-3064 receiver just wondering if running the ps4 and ps3 directly to the tv insted of receaver would make the picture any clearer if anyone knows would help me out heeps thanks :)
And what dose it mean wen it says on screen 1920x1080 / 60p wen i switch to hdmi sorry if thats a big noob question but i dont know much about the new gear

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
The receiver should not alter the picture in any way. Make sure you don't have any video processing turned on.

1920x1080 60p means you have a 1080p source, and is displaying the same 1080p you would get on a 1080p set. That's why the debate is going on. :)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I wonder what the PS4 would look like on those 1080p OLED tv's from LG that some people have....

It looks awesome.

I have the 55EC9300 in the bedroom and brought in the PS4 to check it out and it simply looks phenomenal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running a PS4 connected to a Marantz 6008. The Marantz is connected to a Samsung UN55Hu8550FXZA. The picture quality is decent. The Playstation outputs at the normal 1920X1080 resolution.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The ST60 has some of the worst input lag, about 76ms, so if you're not noticing it there, you're probably not noticing it on the UHD. Unless you play multiplayer shooters or fighting games, it probably isn't a big deal, but if you do play those, that's part of why you're getting pwned before you even get a shot off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts