AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I am considering grabbing a PS3 bundle (which will likely be followed by a TV upgrade
) but I have a few questions (which .

1. When connected via HDMI, will the PS3 still output a signal over the component cables?

I have a front-screen projector that only has component inputs, and the new TV would have HDMI. If it matters: when I would want the component link active, the TV would be OFF.

If NOT- how difficult is it to switch from component HDMI on the PS3?

The tv would support 1080p, while the projector supports only 1080i (which it would downconvert to 480p)

2. Is there yet a way to control a PS3 with an IR remote? I have a pronto that I would like to use to control it for movies. I saw a thread about a usb dongle and other things, but it seemed kind of convoluted.

Thanks,

-jamie

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, bit embarrassed that I didn't scroll down in that thread to find my answers. According to that post, both the HDMI & component can work, but not simultaneously, and I will be stuck with some hokey solution for remote control.

back my fallback question-

Here would be the setup:
  • 52" 1080p LCD, which would be connected to the PS3 via HDMI.
  • InFocus 4805 projector, which would be connected via component cables

The InFocus can only display 480p. It can HANDLE 1080i input, but would downscale it (it has a pretty good built-in scaler, but I don't think it will downscale 1080p).

90% of the time I would use it with the LCD, over the HDMI connection. What would I need to do to be able to watch it through the projector? would I have to navigate through menus? Is there a shortcut? Would it be able to detect that the HDMI connection isn't active (since the TV is off), and fall back to a lower resolution over the component cables?

Thanks,

-jamie

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs /forum/post/14164355

I will be stuck with some hokey solution for remote control.

The ir2bt isn't really very hokey considering that it is just a box that you can put anywhere as long as it has line-of-sight to your remote. Mine is hidden in my TV stand with an IR emitter glued to it. You wouldn't even know it is there since it just works.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/14164695

The ir2bt isn't really very hokey considering that it is just a box that you can put anywhere as long as it has line-of-sight to your remote. Mine is hidden in my TV stand with an IR emitter glued to it. You wouldn't even know it is there since it just works.

Oooh, I hadn't even seen that one, that looks nice... Thanks!

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/14164695

From their website looks like you can power the PS3 on and off with this? Have people confirmed this works? I have the plug-in from Schmatz and I can only power off with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs /forum/post/14163396

2. Is there yet a way to control a PS3 with an IR remote? I have a pronto that I would like to use to control it for movies. I saw a thread about a usb dongle and other things, but it seemed kind of convoluted.

I'm using IR4PS3 rev2.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...gi?14086,9#170

Just email the guy and he'll send you more information. There is no web page but I found him to be quite responsive to emails. It is a $40 kit, you buy the sony remote and remove the bluetooth board and put it in the new box. (or I think you can pay extra and he'll get the sony remote and do it for you.)

You may be interested because they have the IR codes for pronto remotes. I don't have a pronto but I used these to program my urc mx-700 and it's working great. I don't know how the other products available handle programming non-harmony remotes. Here are the pronto codes in a CCF file:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ame/ir4ps3.zip

Here is a video on assembling one of the units: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgfJAKEhZy4

I'm very happy with mine so far. He has implemented separate on/off codes and the unit keeps track if the ps3 is on or off. As long as you only use the remote to power on/off then it doesn't get out of sync. The unit also has a built in macro for powering the ps3 off so you don't need to program one in the remote. So far I find it works quite well, about as good as you can expect without the ps3 supporting it's own discrete codes. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz /forum/post/14168447

I'm using IR4PS3 rev2.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...gi?14086,9#170

Just email the guy and he'll send you more information. There is no web page but I found him to be quite responsive to emails. It is a $40 kit, you buy the sony remote and remove the bluetooth board and put it in the new box. (or I think you can pay extra and he'll get the sony remote and do it for you.)

You may be interested because they have the IR codes for pronto remotes. I don't have a pronto but I used these to program my urc mx-700 and it's working great. I don't know how the other products available handle programming non-harmony remotes. Here are the pronto codes in a CCF file:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ame/ir4ps3.zip

Here is a video on assembling one of the units: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgfJAKEhZy4

I'm very happy with mine so far. He has implemented separate on/off codes and the unit keeps track if the ps3 is on or off. As long as you only use the remote to power on/off then it doesn't get out of sync. The unit also has a built in macro for powering the ps3 off so you don't need to program one in the remote. So far I find it works quite well, about as good as you can expect without the ps3 supporting it's own discrete codes. I'm very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme /forum/post/14169519

There is a whole thread dedicated to these IR converters http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016741 .

I designed and sell one of them, so obviously I am a little partial to it, but that thread has lots of info from the actual users of the devices. There are also some threads dedicated to each one. The thread for mine is in this forum.

Thanks- checking these out now

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs /forum/post/14171003

Thanks- checking these out now

Personally I have the PS3IR-PRO. Like it, not loving the firmware update feature just yet. Still a little buggy. That being said at least it has a poweroff macro - meaning you just send one command to the box and the box does the rest. You don't have to worry about holding the remote aimed at the conveter (IR2BT only one now left doing this) for a few second (5) while it receives the commands. The PS3IR-PRO started like that, and it was a PITA to do and if you moved the remote accidentally you screwed up the cycle. Thankfully a firmware update removed that need with a poweroff macro. Having the converter box do all the work is a much more clean way to do it. If I were you, based on reveiws and my own experience, I would consider PS3toothfairy/IR4PS3 #1 and 2 options, PS3IR-PRO #3, and then the IR2BT. The first 3 are all upgradeable with firmware, the IR2BT is not. Now if the Schmartz product's firmware update feature can get the kinks out of it, then I can't see how #1, 2, and 3 will be all that different from eachother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts