AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am really dying to get a PS3, but my question is, what is the difference between the 40 gig and 80 gig systems besides memory?..............and also how long does it take to get the 5 free blue rays offered at cc when purchasing this?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/12967133

i am really dying to get a PS3, but my question is, what is the difference between the 40 gig and 80 gig systems besides memory?..............and also how long does it take to get the 5 free blue rays offered at cc when purchasing this?

2 less USB ports, no memory card slots, no backward compatibility and no sacd support for 40gb vs. 80gb.

I'm at just over a month on waiting for my 5 free.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen /forum/post/12967179

2 less USB ports, no memory card slots, no backward compatibility and no sacd support for 40gb vs. 80gb.

I'm at just over a month on waiting for my 5 free.

and another question i have, does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDS. and if so...what does it upconvert too, 1080i or 1080p?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmpulse /forum/post/12967223

It upconverts DVDs to 1080p. Also, it took probably 2 months before I got my five blu-ray movies.

cool..do you guys think its worth getting the ps3 for the blue ray player, or would i be better off getting a stand alone blue ray?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/12967254

cool..do you guys think its worth getting the ps3 for the blue ray player, or would i be better off getting a stand alone blue ray?

That's what I bought my PS3 for and I'm happy with it.

·
Banned
131 Posts
The ps3 is considered one of the best blu-ray players on the market, if not the best. There's some kind of protocal it currented doesn't support (1.1?), but I'm sure a software update will take care of that. Plus its considered an very good, if not excellent dvd upconverter. I use it for 100% of my media on my 73 inch DLP and I love it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The PS3 will make an excellent Blu-ray player. It already has all of the features needed to be 2.0-compliant.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serversurfer /forum/post/12967560

The PS3 will make an excellent Blu-ray player. It already has all of the features needed to be 2.0-compliant.

That is, except the actual firmware to make it 2.0.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12967584

That is, except the actual firmware to make it 2.0.

Right, which is why I said it had the required features.

Sony already has 2.0 running on in-house units. They've used them to demo the features of 2.0. They're just waiting until another 2.0-compliant player hits the market before they release the firmware, as a concession to their consortium partners.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/12967200

and another question i have, does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDS. and if so...what does it upconvert too, 1080i or 1080p?

Just a reminder: the PS3 only upconverts DVDs over HDMI!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/12967694

Just a reminder: the PS3 only upconverts DVDs over HDMI!

Also no 5.1 analog output, so you need an HDMI receiver to get the lossless audio.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
But you can still get 5.1 through the optical cable. Just not the new lossless.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 /forum/post/12968048

But you can still get 5.1 through the optical cable. Just not the new lossless.

cool, sounds good, think i will pick one up pretty soon....as far as the 5.1 and lossless audio....to be honest i dont know to much about that. i do plan on getting a sounds sytem , receiver, speakers etc.....but i have to do a lot of research as i dont know much about it......are hdmi receivers common now adays?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an Onkyo that is only HDMI pass through and I think it's $350 at CC. So one with actual HDMI input is gonna cost more than that...Alas, I'm stuck with my optical audio cable. The games still sound fantastic though!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Just a reminder

If you want the 5 free Blu-ray movies.

You need to buy the PS3 by Thursday of this week.

You'll have till 02/29 to mail it in. (Rebate coupon)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Get the 80GB, you be surprised how fast HDDE space is eaten up once you start Downloading games and using the PS3 for media stuff. Also it has BC on PS2 games, which the 40GB lacks, and that is a huge deal to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts