AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am really dying to get a PS3, but my question is, what is the difference between the 40 gig and 80 gig systems besides memory?..............and also how long does it take to get the 5 free blue rays offered at cc when purchasing this?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/12967133

i am really dying to get a PS3, but my question is, what is the difference between the 40 gig and 80 gig systems besides memory?..............and also how long does it take to get the 5 free blue rays offered at cc when purchasing this?

2 less USB ports, no memory card slots, no backward compatibility and no sacd support for 40gb vs. 80gb.

I'm at just over a month on waiting for my 5 free.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen /forum/post/12967179

2 less USB ports, no memory card slots, no backward compatibility and no sacd support for 40gb vs. 80gb.

I'm at just over a month on waiting for my 5 free.

and another question i have, does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDS. and if so...what does it upconvert too, 1080i or 1080p?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmpulse /forum/post/12967223

It upconverts DVDs to 1080p. Also, it took probably 2 months before I got my five blu-ray movies.

cool..do you guys think its worth getting the ps3 for the blue ray player, or would i be better off getting a stand alone blue ray?

·
Banned
131 Posts
The ps3 is considered one of the best blu-ray players on the market, if not the best. There's some kind of protocal it currented doesn't support (1.1?), but I'm sure a software update will take care of that. Plus its considered an very good, if not excellent dvd upconverter. I use it for 100% of my media on my 73 inch DLP and I love it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The PS3 will make an excellent Blu-ray player. It already has all of the features needed to be 2.0-compliant.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12967584

That is, except the actual firmware to make it 2.0.

Right, which is why I said it had the required features.

Sony already has 2.0 running on in-house units. They've used them to demo the features of 2.0. They're just waiting until another 2.0-compliant player hits the market before they release the firmware, as a concession to their consortium partners.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/12967200

and another question i have, does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDS. and if so...what does it upconvert too, 1080i or 1080p?

Just a reminder: the PS3 only upconverts DVDs over HDMI!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
But you can still get 5.1 through the optical cable. Just not the new lossless.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 /forum/post/12968048

But you can still get 5.1 through the optical cable. Just not the new lossless.

cool, sounds good, think i will pick one up pretty soon....as far as the 5.1 and lossless audio....to be honest i dont know to much about that. i do plan on getting a sounds sytem , receiver, speakers etc.....but i have to do a lot of research as i dont know much about it......are hdmi receivers common now adays?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Just a reminder

If you want the 5 free Blu-ray movies.

You need to buy the PS3 by Thursday of this week.

You'll have till 02/29 to mail it in. (Rebate coupon)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.