AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I just wanted to start a new thread for replacement parts for the PS3.

As these get older and out of warranty, knowledge of where to source parts from will become very valuable.

The blu-ray drive especially may become a much sought after item as they will eventually fail. Anyone that could work on a laptop computer should be able to disassemble and repair their PS3.

Thanks for all replies and information.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The question is though, by the time that your drive starts failing will it actually just make more sense to buy a new PS3?

I'm more concerned about the availability of SATA1 hard drives in 2 or 3 years time myself.

Cheers

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"I'm more concerned about the availability of SATA1 hard drives in 2 or 3 years time myself."

Why would that concern you? Faster versions of SATA drives still support being connected to older buses.

As for finding parts? Ebay and Craigslist. Find a dead one and part it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, that assumes that there is nothing finicky in Sony's implementation.

The only reason I mention it is that there is a warning in the manual about compatibility not being guaranteed with all drives and I have seen similar issues like that in the past with other unrelated devices (Roland and Yamaha musical equipment for example where newer SCSI drives would often not be recognized by older gear).

Cheers

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, that wouldn't be an issue with SATA itself...all SATA drives (regardless of revision) will and should work with all SATA controlers of any revision. The standard is the standard...but of course not all SATA drives work perfect with all SATA controllers (same way with IDE). That clause in the manual is so Sony doesn't face any liability should a drive not work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts