AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings AVS friends. i love that you all really know what you're talking about....this is where i come when i'm really confused.

that being said, i'm really confused about all this scaler stuff i've been reading about with the PS3.

I just bought one yesterday, with the HDMI cables, and plugged into the HDMI input on my Toshiba MD26H82 (a HD CRT TV)....unfortunately, everything looks really bad.

i've heard a lot of conflicting stories as to why this might be. i've been told that the PS3 "doesn't support" 1080i, and that i'm out of luck because my TV doesn't support 720p. I've been told that my tv DOES support 720p and i should force the PS3 to output that resolution because that's what games are rendered in, and i've been told that everything is fine and just to let it ride at 1080i.

so how do i know what resolution i'm actually getting? when i look at my system tab under display settings it says i'm in 1080i, but is that actually true? is it true that my TV can't do 720p because it's a CRT?

any and all help would be massively appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I just dug out my users manual on the teev. here's a quote: "The HDMI input is designed for best performance with high definition video signals. It will accept and display 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i signals. "

so it's says it will do 720p....but does that mean that it will accept the 720p signal and scale it up to 1080i? or does the TV actually display 720p? does it matter? if the TV has a scaler in it, should i just set the PS3 to 720p and let the tv do the work?

sorry for all the questions....

·
Registered
104 Posts
the PS3 will not UPScale games....

it will depend on what your TV does as far as resolutions:

IF you can only do 480i, 480P and 1080i and you play a game that is 720P(ck the back of the game package to find out its output resolutions) then you are going to be downscaled to 480p

also have you fixed your settings in the XMB(ie: ck off all the settings your TV does)

an example would be Resistance Fall Of Man that title is 720P

My tv has 480i 480p and 1080i capability so I have to play RFOM in 480p

BUT a game like Ridge Race 7 outputs 1080P so that means when I play that the PS3 downscales it to 1080i

hope that helps

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischergs /forum/post/0

Update:

I just dug out my users manual on the teev. here's a quote: "The HDMI input is designed for best performance with high definition video signals. It will accept and display 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i signals. "

so it's says it will do 720p....but does that mean that it will accept the 720p signal and scale it up to 1080i? or does the TV actually display 720p? does it matter? if the TV has a scaler in it, should i just set the PS3 to 720p and let the tv do the work?

sorry for all the questions....

just becaue HDMI can accept a 720P signal doesnt mean your TV does...I am trying to find out some info on your model number via google right now

·
Registered
104 Posts
your TV does not support 720P so if a game is only output in 720P it will downscale to 480p for you....for you to get a game in HD it will have to have either 1080i or 1080P listed as an output on back of the box

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm...that's very uncool.

where did you find info on my TV? i've looked all over, but i could never find a definitive answer....

i'm still confused by the quote in my manual...

doesn't that mean that the TV has a scaler in it, and will upscale a 720p signal to 1080i?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC /forum/post/0

your TV does not support 720P so if a game is only output in 720P it will downscale to 480p for you...

Unfortunately it won't even downscale to 480p when set to output that resolution, it will actually render the game at 480p instead. Such games would look a lot better if they were downscaled to 480p rather than rendered at that resolution.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
He said his TV does accept 720p and 1080i, so it should have no problems with the PS3. Just make sure the PS3 is configured to know all the resolutions that your TV will accept.

That, however, has nothing to do with what the TV is actually dispaying. The TV will convert whatever input format it is receiving to its native format to display it. How good the picture quality of the TV is and how good it is at converting formats is a whole other story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update:

I just spoke to toshiba tech support and they said that the TV has a scaler in it, and will take a 720p signal and upscale it to 1080i.

so i feel that if i just set the PS3 to 720p instead of 1080i and pop in a game like Resistance (which only supports 720p) that the TV should take care of the upscaling for me....right?

or does the PS3 recognize that the TV doesn't natively support 720p and then automatically outputs 480 even though the tv has a scaler?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC /forum/post/0

your TV does not support 720P so if a game is only output in 720P it will downscale to 480p for you....for you to get a game in HD it will have to have either 1080i or 1080P listed as an output on back of the box

Not saying you're wrong, but where did you see that his TV won't accept a 720p signal? According the owner's manual it will.

Have you tried setting the PS3 to 720p mode fischergs? If you have and you get a picture then there's no problem, your TV will accpet a 720p signal and display it as 1080i since it's a CRT set. In that case, in the PS3 display settings you should just check 1080i, 720p, and 480p as your options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh...ok...awsome!

yeah...i tested the 720p signal by unchecking all the other boxes, thus forcing the ps3 to show 720p. i got a picture and everything worked fine, and the tab said i was running is 720p.

so that means that everything is kosher?

that's really good news if that's true!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischergs /forum/post/0

update:

I just spoke to toshiba tech support and they said that the TV has a scaler in it, and will take a 720p signal and upscale it to 1080i.

so i feel that if i just set the PS3 to 720p instead of 1080i and pop in a game like Resistance (which only supports 720p) that the TV should take care of the upscaling for me....right?

I'd leave 1080i checked since that's you TV's native mode. When you start a 720p game the PS3 will automatically switch to 720p mode.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have this monitor series as well but mine is 30 inches. It does not support 720P native resolution; only 1080i. However, I think it may have a scaler (up or down I don't know).

I have a Comcast HDTV DVR set-top-box with HDMI output. I force the cablebox to output 720P only; amazingly the TV can accept the video. I don't think it down scale to 580P (TV 2ndary nat. res) since I don't see the video stretches at all. From the cablebox; either set to 720P or 1080i; the picture quality is the same...I couldn't tell the difference.

I did the testing on my other CRT HD monitor (Panasonic 36in); when I set the cablebox to output 720P; it couldn't display video.

With these comparisons; I think the Toshi one has the upscale scaler.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/0

Not saying you're wrong, but where did you see that his TV won't accept a 720p signal? According the owner's manual it will.

Have you tried setting the PS3 to 720p mode fischergs? If you have and you get a picture then there's no problem, your TV will accpet a 720p signal and display it as 1080i since it's a CRT set. In that case, in the PS3 display settings you should just check 1080i, 720p, and 480p as your options.

i googled his model number let me see if i can find it...but glad you got things taken care of...seems like you didnt have the settings set up correctly

·
Registered
104 Posts
 http://shopper.cnet.com/TOSHIBA_MD26...-31891922.html

Manufacturer: Toshiba

Part number: MD26H82

General

Product type CRT TV

Technology CRT

Diagonal size 26 in

Image aspect ratio 16:9

HDTV compatible Yes

CRT type FST Pure

Digital TV Type High Definition TV

Width 27.6 in

Depth 19.8 in

Height 21.8 in

Weight 86.9 lbs

HDTV

Receiving HDTV The three common methods to receive HDTV broadcasts are via satellite-TV set-top box, cable system set-top box, and over-the-air reception from a digital HDTV broadcast station.

True HDTV True HDTV programming is broadcasted in one of two resolutions: 1080i or 720p.

Tuner options An HDTV-ready satellite or cable box will act as an outboard HDTV tuner for your digital HDTV or EDTV set that lacks a built-in HD tuner.

Video System

Comb filter 3D-Y/C digital
Supported DTV Resolutions 540p, 1080i

but from amazon:

Amazon.com Product Description

Eliminate clutter in your entertainment cabinet with the 26-inch, HD-ready Toshiba MD26H82 flat-screen CRT television with integrated, full-featured DVD player. It has a a widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio (used for high-def TV programming and letterboxed DVDs) and the set's built-in ATSC (DTV) tuner pulls HD signals (480p/720p/1080i) right from the airwaves. It also has a QAM tuner that's fully compatible with unscrambled HDTV cable reception. A standard analog NTSC tuner receives standard-definition (SD) programming. The MD26H82 makes it easy to connect to brilliant imagery with its component and HDMI connections--the latter offering pure digital audio/video performance with no degradation of signal.

Toshiba's CrystalScan HDSC technology upconverts all video signals (including 480i/p) to 1080iHD, resulting in a significant reduction in jagged line artifacts to create the sharpest, most realistic picture possible from every source.

FWIW-the amazon description is pretty damn sneaky...i have an RCA with a Digital Tuner and it only displays 480I 480P and 1080i but of course the TUNER pulls HD SIGNALS in 720P since thats what some broadcasters send their signal but my tv wont show the 720P signal and as far as I can find neither does his...but toshiba has some sorta scaler that shows it in 1080i no matter what

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1124 /forum/post/0

I have the samsung LNS3251D and I was wondering would I be able to play blu ray movies

yes you can but you will be limited to what your TVs best resolution is....either 720P or 1080i and the blu-ray will look great...for 1080P to make much of a diff at all you have to get above 42"(might even be a bit larger)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.