AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am using PS3 w/ Samsung HLR5667W (connected via HDMI). The problem is that screen looks darker when PS3 outputs anything RGB (for example, playing DivX). The RGB output range is set to Limited.

I did some experiment and found that RGB output is darker than YCbCr output by trying both YCbCr and RGB on the same blu-ray title. I am not sure if this is PS3 problem or Samsung DLP problem.

Can anyone confirm this? Do you have this problem w/ non-Samsung TV set?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing RGB output to Full would make it worse. Black crushes even more and can't be correct by adjusting brightness of TV. My problem is that setting brightness based on YCbCr would make RGB too dark and setting brightness based on RGB would make YCbCr makes too bright.

I am now overiding Blu-ray and DVD playback to use RGB always so that I can have consistent brightness over HDMI when playing blu-ray/dvd/divx and game, but I feel YCbCr gives me better shadow details for blu-ray and DVD playback.

So I would like to find any way to have YCbCr and RGB matches luminance.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Has your set been calibrated? Are all of your user controls available on the TV when it is sent RGB, or are some of them grayed out?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Are you aware that your Samsung will set and save your settings such as color picture separatly for each of its separate source connection? So what you set them to overcomponent 1 interface is not what is in effect on HDMI 1 which is again differnt from HDMI2. On each interface the picture size settings are set and saved separatly for each differnt resolution used on that interface.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/14301653

Has your set been calibrated? Are all of your user controls available on the TV when it is sent RGB, or are some of them grayed out?

Non of video related user settings are disabled when video signal as RGB over HDMI or YCbCr over HDMI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/14301653

The set wasn't calibrated. However I recently tried changing brightness/contrast level from service menu hoping it would be different value for different video mode even if it is from the same output (HDMI1).

Non of video related user settings are disabled when video signal as RGB over HDMI or YCbCr over HDMI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/14304284

Are you aware that your Samsung will set and save your settings such as color picture separatly for each of its separate source connection? So what you set them to overcomponent 1 interface is not what is in effect on HDMI 1 which is again differnt from HDMI2. On each interface the picture size settings are set and saved separatly for each differnt resolution used on that interface.

I am aware that it save different settings for different connections, but my case is different video modes for the same connection (HDMI). Unfortunately it seems brightness/contrast setting looks global for the connection regardless of resolution/color space.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that, for some reason, either the PS3 or TV is decoding YCbCr incorrectly or applying some bias. It would be useful if someone else could try this on another setup to see if it happens with a different TV. I'll try to do it, but it may take a while.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I was hoping you had more then one HDMI connection since if you do they should be handled independently. Yet is will not save different color settings for the same connection only different picture size settings for different resolutions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts