AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...my first post here and am hoping some of you experts can help me with my riddle.

I upgraded my AV system with HDMI connected components: a Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver; a Bravia 5100Z Monitor; and a PS3, which is used for Blu Ray and SACD. I play FLAC files via an XBOX running XBMC as my main music source - hooked up via component video and jointly with glass toslink digital and analog (to port to the second room).

So, last nite I did some serious listening!!...Allrighty.
...and....when I A-B tested tracks from the Miles David "Kind of Blue" cd I found that the bass that the SACD disc outputted via PCM from the PS3 through HDMI was not nearly comparable to the bass from my FLAC files on the same reference tune ("So What" - which has some really interesting acoustic bass at the beginning of the song).

So...I fiddled and tweaked and changed things ...and the FLAC file played via either PLIIx or Stereo to all channels had significantly more bass. Sounded pretty good too!

Then, I finally found a setting deep in the menu catacombs of the receiver that said "boost Multi Channel inputs by" 10 db. It appeared to be referencing

analog multi channel inputs...but, nevertheless, being the daring guy with the new toy. I changed that setting.

And...it didn't really seem to make a difference.

So...how does anyone know how one should set up things to get "correct" bass levels?

Or, am I dreaming of a happy-place sonic nirvana that is never found?

Thanks!

Clearsonq

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
There are test tone discs specifically made for SACD settings (I have one from Pentatone) that I used to great affect with regard to this issue. However, I use an analogue MCH connection for SACD, so I'm not certain this disc would help you. I'm sure others will be along soon enough who are more expert than I am (the disc I use has some nice music on it as well, so it might be worth getting anyway for that--you can find it at SACD.net or at the Pentatone website)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update --

hmmnn.....maybe the +10 db setting on my AV receiver does not act like other audio settings that take effect immediately....

'Cuz...when I tried to replicate the issue I described with a witness present...and ...hmmnnn...it all seemed to work like one would have thought....the LFE boost raised the bass level on the HDMI output such that it sounded pretty durn good.

A-B tested Diana Krall's, "The Look of Love" - from the CD of the same name...and Billy Joel's "Rosalinda's Eyes" - from the 52nd Street CD..

And...as expected.

The SACD sounded clearer...... more distinct....voices more articulated...bass...solid and tight.

So...

I'm thinkin' I'm gettin' close to sonic nirvana!!

Clearsonq

p.s. - Now..I'm on a mission to minimize the fan noise that kicks in on the PS3!!!

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Good thinking on your part there. What you did is exactly the only way to fix that issue. The fact that setting works for both analog and HDMI input[for PCM] doesn't surprise me, they usually go hand in hand, especially if the MCH analog inputs being digitized to begin with, which is Sony known for. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know the answer to the question but perhaps someone in the PS3SACD.com forum does?

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't noticed the discussion had already gone on to some conclusion. I should have refreshed the page, really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts