AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my PS3 toslink'ed to a CA DacMagic, then XLR'ed to McIntosh MA6300

the native sampling rate of the PS3 is 48k (adjustable)

CD's are 44.1

should I set the PS3 to 44.1?

it also has a filter setting, 3 modes

off

1 some noise masking/dithering?

2 some freq contouring (I think)

3 both?

I figure sr = 44.1 and 'off' will be the best sound (less signal manipulation, upsampling, etc.) the DacMagic has it's own filters...

I don't have a seperate HT set-up, only my TV, so 2 ch audio is my priority

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have never noticed a difference between the 44.1 and 48k sampling rate. Your experience may be different.

As for filter settings, the PS3 transport (pre-Slim version) seems to be excellent at error correction and playing through tough discs. I leave the filtering in the 'off' position.

I would just feed your DAC with the unaltered data and let it do what it is supposed to do best. IMO

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie /forum/post/18166337

I have never noticed a difference between the 44.1 and 48k sampling rate. Your experience may be different.

As for filter settings, the PS3 transport (pre-Slim version) seems to be excellent at error correction and playing through tough discs. I leave the filtering in the 'off' position.

I would just feed your DAC with the unaltered data and let it do what it is supposed to do best. IMO

thanks, that's what I figured...

I know I'll be piled on, but I did hear a difference, seemed more 'open' with the filters off

although I violated the cardinal rule of change control, only 1 variable at a time: I changed BOTH sr and filter = off at the same time...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPE /forum/post/18167094

I know I'll be piled on, but I did hear a difference, seemed more 'open' with the filters off

Nah, no piling on. I of course don't have the PS3 units attached to any of my dedicated theater equipment...so I would not expect to obtain the best experience anyway. I always look for the simplest solution too.

Quote:
although I violated the cardinal rule of change control, only 1 variable at a time: I changed BOTH sr and filter = off at the same time...

What are you thinkin....go back and redo your tests

1 - 5 of 5 Posts