AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what i have to set up.. The tv will be here monday so im just trying to get everything ready.. Is there anything as far as aspect ratio, screen settings hdmi, sound that will need to be changed??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
Set BR/DVD output to YCbCr.

Set RGB to Full and your TV's HDMI Black Level setting to Normal (or Limited/Low).

Enable YCbCr super-white.

Make sure xvYCC is disabled on your TV.

For settings, look in the A750 calibration thread and try out the settings people are using, preferably with the same firmware as your set.

To be honest, it looks like playa has the color and sharpness WAY too high, and the backlight is higher than I would use.

I have the A650 which is essentially the same, but I wouldn't recommend using A650 settings with your A750.


Audio settings depend on your audio equipment, or more specifically your AVR capabilities and/or your audio equipment. But for the most part, if you're using optical for audio, set audio to Bitstream. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating or you're simply using your TV speakers, set audio to PCM. For supported audio formats, if you're using optical or your TV speakers, just use the automatic settings. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating, check all the audio formats your AVR supports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/15445803


Set BR/DVD output to YCbCr.

Set RGB to Full and your TV's HDMI Black Level setting to Normal (or Limited/Low).

Enable YCbCr super-white.

Make sure xvYCC is disabled on your TV.

For settings, look in the A750 calibration thread and try out the settings people are using, preferably with the same firmware as your set.

To be honest, it looks like playa has the color and sharpness WAY too high, and the backlight is higher than I would use.

I have the A650 which is essentially the same, but I wouldn't recommend using A650 settings with your A750.


Audio settings depend on your audio equipment, or more specifically your AVR capabilities and/or your audio equipment. But for the most part, if you're using optical for audio, set audio to Bitstream. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating or you're simply using your TV speakers, set audio to PCM. For supported audio formats, if you're using optical or your TV speakers, just use the automatic settings. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating, check all the audio formats your AVR supports.

I'm confused about what xvYCC does.

The manual says "increases detail and color space when watching

movies from an external device (ie. DVD player) connected to the HDMI or

Component IN", which sounds like a good thing to me, but some people say it should be disabled?


playa's backlight seems high to me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 /forum/post/15451796


I'm confused about what xvYCC does.

The manual says "increases detail and color space when watching

movies from an external device (ie. DVD player) connected to the HDMI or

Component IN", which sounds like a good thing to me, but some people say it should be disabled?


playa's backlight seems high to me too.

hmm..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 /forum/post/15451796


I'm confused about what xvYCC does.

The manual says "increases detail and color space when watching

movies from an external device (ie. DVD player) connected to the HDMI or

Component IN", which sounds like a good thing to me, but some people say it should be disabled?


playa's backlight seems high to me too.

xvYCC is extended gamut YCC, it's an expanded color space that little to no content uses. If you enable xvYCC on your TV, it's expanding the color space, but will only be accepting a limited number of colors so things will look washed out. A lot of devices 'support' xvColor (ie PS3), but the content being played on the device will most likely be using the limited color space. The only time you would enable this, is if everything in your device chain, including the content being played, uses xvYCC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/15445803


Set BR/DVD output to YCbCr.

Set RGB to Full and your TV's HDMI Black Level setting to Normal (or Limited/Low).

Enable YCbCr super-white.

Make sure xvYCC is disabled on your TV.

For settings, look in the A750 calibration thread and try out the settings people are using, preferably with the same firmware as your set.

To be honest, it looks like playa has the color and sharpness WAY too high, and the backlight is higher than I would use.

I have the A650 which is essentially the same, but I wouldn't recommend using A650 settings with your A750.


Audio settings depend on your audio equipment, or more specifically your AVR capabilities and/or your audio equipment. But for the most part, if you're using optical for audio, set audio to Bitstream. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating or you're simply using your TV speakers, set audio to PCM. For supported audio formats, if you're using optical or your TV speakers, just use the automatic settings. If you have an AVR with HDMI repeating, check all the audio formats your AVR supports.


So this is all i need to set on my ps3 for the moment for video, until i get into my avr and surround right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
So for the time being, you'll be using the TV speakers and the HDMI input on your TV? I would still go into the audio settings and select automatic and make sure audio output is set to PCM in the BR/DVD settings.


BTW, if you're unfamiliar with the PS3 menu, all the things I mentioned above are either in the BR/DVD settings menu, or the video settings and audio settings menus. Sony decided to split them up into 3 different sections.


There are other settings that may concern you, like the DVD/PS2 upscale options. There are three different settings - one turns the option off, the second upscales and retains the aspect ratio (for 4:3 movies) and the third stretches 4:3 content to 16:9. IIRC, "Full" is the one that stretches, but I forget what the other one is. There are other things like noise reduction which I leave off. I think there are additional settings that you can view when you hit the triangle button when you're viewing a video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/15453069


So for the time being, you'll be using the TV speakers and the HDMI input on your TV? I would still go into the audio settings and select automatic and make sure audio output is set to PCM in the BR/DVD settings.


BTW, if you're unfamiliar with the PS3 menu, all the things I mentioned above are either in the BR/DVD settings menu, or the video settings and audio settings menus. Sony decided to split them up into 3 different sections.


There are other settings that may concern you, like the DVD/PS2 upscale options. There are three different settings - one turns the option off, the second upscales and retains the aspect ratio (for 4:3 movies) and the third stretches 4:3 content to 16:9. IIRC, "Full" is the one that stretches, but I forget what the other one is. There are other things like noise reduction which I leave off. I think there are additional settings that you can view when you hit the triangle button when you're viewing a video.

Yea funds are a lil short at the moment aftyer the holidays the tv, stand ps3 and about $400 in blu rays, power conditioner.. Not to mention i just moved into my new place 10 days before xmas, along w the every month bills
so Ill hopefully be looking into a avr in the next month or so, and trying to get a descent 5 speaker setup for under $1500, the sub will have to wait, just due to me loving bass and always going hi end for the low end



and yes for the moment.. tv speakers and hdmi on the tv


1 from each


ps3

xbox360

directtv hd
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top