AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just realized that my PS3 controller will still work in my bedroom, which opens the door to gaming and movies in there as well. However, my bedroom tv is a wall mount plasma clean with no wires showing, so I'll be running an HDMI cable up into the attic and back down to the equipment closet with the PS3. This will take a 60-75ft cable.

Does this cable need to be amped?

Also, the PS3 currently dumps HDMI into a Pioneer Elite which plays the audio and sends the video to the tv in the living room. So far that works great. Now, i'm going to need to split the HDMI between the PS3 and reciever. I can stash this in the equipment closet, but what do I need to make it happen?

Do these powered splitters amp the signal as well? Will an amped signal passing into my receiver damage it?

Thanks

Also, would wireless HDMI in any way be a possibility?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried the Firefold 1x2 HDMI splitter. I was sending the output of my PS3 over a 50' 22AWG Monoprice cable to my upstairs LCD. The video looked great, but I couldn't get audio with the splitter in the signal path. A Firefold tech recommended I purchase the splitter/extender. I returned the splitter, but haven't purchased the splitter/extender.

Does anyone have experience with the Monoprice powered splitter using long cable runs?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 /forum/post/12963114

Ok, I just realized that my PS3 controller will still work in my bedroom, which opens the door to gaming and movies in there as well. However, my bedroom tv is a wall mount plasma clean with no wires showing, so I'll be running an HDMI cable up into the attic and back down to the equipment closet with the PS3. This will take a 60-75ft cable.

Does this cable need to be amped?

Also, the PS3 currently dumps HDMI into a Pioneer Elite which plays the audio and sends the video to the tv in the living room. So far that works great. Now, i'm going to need to split the HDMI between the PS3 and reciever. I can stash this in the equipment closet, but what do I need to make it happen?

Do these powered splitters amp the signal as well? Will an amped signal passing into my receiver damage it?

Thanks

Also, would wireless HDMI in any way be a possibility?

I will try and answer your questions in the ordered asked. I have a similar setup. Two TVs and a PS3 I play from different areas of the house.

Q
oes this cable need to be amped?

A: I would think so, they make HDMI repeaters that work well that allow for long runs. Consider buying a long run cable from some place and trying it out. If it does not work return it and get two 30 foot cables and a repeater. I believe Audio Authority sells a good HDMI repeater.

Q: I can stash this in the equipment closet, but what do I need to make it happen?

A: You will first need an RF based remote system to control your equipment from your other room. You may already have this piece of equipment since you mentioned your equipment is a closet. I use the Universal RF-20 and it works great... not problems at all.

The splitting or switching is tricky. If you intend to be able to use your components in your closet with your first (TVa) while at the same time using a different component on TVb then you need a Matrix switch. I have tried several "Matrix" based switches but all are buggy. I have heard good things about the Gefen 4 x 4 hdmi switch but the price is out of my league.

One thing also to consider is the output (Video and audio) for your TVs if each setup is different. Example, if upstairs TV is set for 1080p but downstairs TV is set to 1080i you will need to manually change the setting on the PS3 each time you watch it. The PS3 is not smart enough to reconginize your TV type and set the optimal setting. Also, if you have one of setups running through a reciever for surround sound and the other setup just plugs into your TV, then you will also have to manually change the audio setting depending on which setup you are watching. Receiver is 5.1 and plugging into TV is generally 2 channel or 2.1.

I have my eye on the new (yet to be release) Marantz HDMI switch. It is in my price range and could meet my needs. If you have specific questions, PM me. Would be happy to assist since it sounds like you are trying to do exactly what I did.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i used hdmi for one setup closer one and used componet with only R and L channel audio for other ib ps3 setup screen you need to reassign inputs when you change rooms

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use a Monoprice 4:2 HDMI switch to switch between the TV and my Projector (35' 22 gauge Monoprice HDMI Cable) and it works with no problem. The switch is IR though so that may not help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts