AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded the bowling game from the PS Store last week and I must say I am really enjoying it. In fact, considerably more than our Wii bowling game.

This got me to thinking how long it will be before other game developers really start taking advantage of the Sixaxis. It just appears that they are really not using it to its fullest potential.

I am very impressed with the "feel" of the sixaxis in that game. It really takes fine speed and motion to get it to do what you want. It feels very "real". The only weird thing is in how you hold it, but you soon become used to it.

What are others thoughts on this? Can we expect to see Tennis with the sixaxis acting as the racket? What about Golf? Even if you were swinging with one hand, it would be a more complete experience than moving you thumbs.

Does anybody else feel that the sixaxis isn't getting it's due respect? I enjoy playing the Wii with my kids, but the sixaxis just feels right to me.

just curious.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Heck until I dloaded the demo of that Rubber Ducky game I didn't even realize the sixaxis did the tilt thing!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Doesn't Virtua Tennis 3 let you use the Sixaxis?

I ask not just to make the point, but also to see if it is any good.

edit: guess I should have done my own research, the Sixaxis integration with Virtua Tennis sucks monkey butt. Maybe when they do 4? Seems like they have the ability to use the technology as such but instead went for archaic controls that don't really make a lot of sense. They must have gotten the same Sixaxis advice that Factor 5 did when they made Lair

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think the Sixaxis will ever be used to it's full potential because it's design doesn't force you to. The Wii's innovation is not necessarily in the remote itself, but the fact that it pretty much forces developers to come up with interesting and intuitive ways to use it. Plus, you point where you want to go. It doesn't get much easier to use than that. My mom can pick up my Wiimote and kick my butt in tennis and I've been a gamer all my life. It's much less intimidating for the average non gamer to pick up the Wiimote, and has developed that reputation among the general public. I don't think the Sixaxis will ever be able to achieve that.

That said, the Sixaxis motion sensors are very good and can sense Yaw, one motion the Wiimote can't sense. I just don't see developers doing much innovating with it. I hope they prove me wrong!

·
Registered
245 Posts
If they came up with a single handed remote (similar to the DVD remote for instance) and put the same gimble or SIAXIS thing in it, you'd probably see sales. Developers could integrate baseball, golf, etc. A mini sports pack like the Wii.

I just don't want to go out and buy a Wii when I already have a new console

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Devax

Does anybody else feel that the sixaxis isn't getting it's due respect?

The developers of Heavenly Sword did an incredible job implimenting sixaxis control. "Aftertouch", where you can guide your arrow, rocket, or cannonball, after initially aiming and firing your weapon is really cool. Controlling your arrow by tilting the controller as your arrow approaches your enemy is so much fun that I have been replaying those parts, trying to get a perfect score. Anyone who doubts the benifet of sixaxis needs to play this game.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I'm really going to have to try this bowling game. It's getting a lot more love than I would have expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom /forum/post/12859326

I don't think the Sixaxis will ever be used to it's full potential because it's design doesn't force you to.

Lair?

Quote:
The Wii's innovation is not necessarily in the remote itself, but the fact that it pretty much forces developers to come up with interesting and intuitive ways to use it. Plus, you point where you want to go. It doesn't get much easier to use than that.

True, but I'm finding that when Wii games offer you alternatives to the motion controls (like the new Nights game), it's almost always better to opt out of using the motion controls and stick with the Classic Controller. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of motion control as more and more developers prove just how much they suck at implementing it. They seem to be getting worse at developing for it instead of better.

Quote:
My mom can pick up my Wiimote and kick my butt in tennis and I've been a gamer all my life. It's much less intimidating for the average non gamer to pick up the Wiimote, and has developed that reputation among the general public. I don't think the Sixaxis will ever be able to achieve that.

Absolutely true. But by the same token, the Wiimote will never be able to offer the precision and exactitude of a regular controller. I'd argue that that's why you get your butt kicked; the shoddy, undemanding controls even the playing field artificially.

Hopefully, the next generation in motion sensing technology will improve on the response time and precision. I'm not a fan of Wii FPS games, regardless of how "intuitive" they feel. The timing and precision are totally off.

Quote:
That said, the Sixaxis motion sensors are very good and can sense Yaw, one motion the Wiimote can't sense. I just don't see developers doing much innovating with it. I hope they prove me wrong!

It was a cheap, last-minute addition by Sony. If a developer can find a good use for it (as in Warhawk), then more power to them. Otherwise, I hope they continue to ignore it.

That said, I'm sure a modified version of motion control will appear again in the next console generation (using cameras and/or improved controller tech), so the sooner developers can get a handle on it, the better prepared they'll be for future games and consoles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts