AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think they could sell the ps3 slim for 200.00 on black friday or around the xmas season making it the cheapest console to purchase yet? By making it cheaper than the wii could it overtake the wii?

xmas shopping season really isnt that far away and at a 200.00 dollar price tag i could pick up a couple for family members.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter /forum/post/17041792

Does anyone think they could sell the ps3 slim for 200.00 on black friday or around the xmas season making it the cheapest console to purchase yet? By making it cheaper than the wii could it overtake the wii?

xmas shopping season really isnt that far away and at a 200.00 dollar price tag i could pick up a couple for family members.

Well since you can get an Xbox for less than $200 already I dont think you can call it the cheapest console to purchase yet.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
plus Sony is still losing money on PS3 (maybe not when you count production only, but shipping and marketing throws cost over MSRP).

You might see something, but Sony really can't afford it. If they did, I can see them requiring at least 2 game purchases.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Sony's already stretching themselves as far as they can. They're nowhere near ready to drop the price again, and probably won't be for at least another 1-2 years or more. $299 will be the "standard" price from here on out.

When it does drop to $199, you can bet that the PS4 is just around the corner.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
more likely to see bundle deals

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17042186

You might see something, but Sony really can't afford it.

Aren't most black friday price-drops done by the store and not the manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17042186

If they did, I can see them requiring at least 2 game purchases.

Sony gets money from blurays, too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
yes, but the licensing revenue from a BD movie isn't nearly what it is from a PS3 game. Thus far, BD hasn't been the savior Sony is. That may change, as it seems they are getting more realistic on pricing (based on Best Buy's massive sale last week).

And, yes, many are done by the store, but they still need to get Sony's permission as they have MAP rules.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see deals for at least $250, PS3's were available several times last winter for $100 off. I bought my 80 gig PS3 at a Wal-Mart early bird special a week or so after Black Friday for $300.

Technically, it was still $400, but purchases included a $100 Wal-Mart giftcard, making it effectively only $300.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think it would be a good move for Sony based on pure consumer brand image. Having such an advanced console be cheaper than the more family-friendly, toy-like Wii or the gimped Xbox Arcade, wouldn't look good. It would be like buying a cheap chinese knockoff that has MP13 support, super BluRayLzrs tech, and a projector shooting out of the logo while still being half the price of competing but less-feature rich products. Audiovox, Meizu, Acer ...

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Dell has had deals around Black Friday. I also bought a PS3 a couple of years ago and Wal-Mart gave 10 free Blu-Ray discs withe the purchase (it was an unadvertised sale and I got the 5th of 5 they had in stock 4 hours after the sale).

You can also open a Sony Visa Credit Card and you'll get $100 back.

Also, you can open up a Sony card

1 - 12 of 12 Posts