AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just hooked up my brand new PS3 slim to my trusty Yamaha RX-v465 receiver, thinking it can decode whatever the PS3 outputs.

I've set the PS3 to "bitstream" but I suspect the receiver is not playing along nicely:

- when playing Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two demo the receiver shows "DTS" on the display which I think is correct but

- when playng other PS3 demos (haven't got any games yet) it shows "multichannel PCM" no matter what. I think in Ultra Bomberman it was showing "2-channel PCM" though...

- when playing movies with AC33 (DD 5.1) it also shows "multichannel PCM" sound (pressing "Select" I can see the track is encoded in AC3)

What exactly is this "multichannel PCM" I'm seeing even in XMB? Is the PS3 ignoring the "bitstream setting" and deccoding the audio instead of the receiver? I would expect this sort of behavior if I were running the PS3 in LPCM mode and even then I would at least expect the receiver to show DD5.1 for AC3 sources.

Am I doing something wrong here? Can somebody help me troubleshoot this? Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Multichannel PCM is 5.1....thats how the PS3 decodes and show it as such.

You didnt say how it is hooked up (HDMI or optical) but set to bitstream, you wont get any HD audio formats.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
PCM is the basic digital audio format used in home entertainment audio. That's how CDs and movies are mastered and receivers are engineered to process PCM to produce sound. But, multichannel PCM soundtracks are quite large and studios developed data compression techniques to save space. PCM is fed into the encoder, where it is compressed to save space. The decoder decompresses the file, turning it back into PCM. Sort of like zipping and unzipping a large data file.

If your PS3 is set to send PCM, that's fine. You are getting the best possible audio. However, the PS3 Slim can be set to send the encoded file to the receiver for decoding. When set that way, your receiver will show the encoder used to do the compression - DD 5.1, DTS, TrueHD, or dts-MA. Your post says your player is set to bitstream, which should send the encoded file to your AVR. But, it's not. I don't own a PS3 and can't help with the settings. But, you can get help in one of the PS3 threads in the Blu-ray Players forum.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70  /t/1478596/ps3-slim-and-yamaha-rx-v465-setup#post_23459771

You didnt say how it is hooked up (HDMI or optical) but set to bitstream, you wont get any HD audio formats.
That's true with older, fat PS3s. The newer slim models can bitstream the HD codecs.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander  /t/1478596/ps3-slim-and-yamaha-rx-v465-setup#post_23460328

That's true with older, fat PS3s. The newer slim models can bitstream the HD codecs.

Ahh, good to know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70  /t/1478596/ps3-slim-and-yamaha-rx-v465-setup#post_23459771

Multichannel PCM is 5.1....thats how the PS3 decodes and show it as such.

My PS3 is connected with HDMI and set to "bitstream".

I've found this elsewhere :

"Games are never streamed as the format they are supplied on disc as and should always be decoded by the PS3 and not the amp. You'll get multichannel LPCM with games via HDMI. This is to allow the PS3 to mix button sounds into the audio, something it cannot do if games audio is bitstreamed to your amp."

OK so that would explain why I'm seeing multi PCM in games. But why am I seeing it also for DD5.1 movies?

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
No, that is a recommendation for games playback, but does not explain why you are getting a PCM output when set to bitstream. Again, the dedicated PS3 threads will have people who can help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts