AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on buying a Sony BDP-S560 this week (on sale @ BestBuy for $299) for my living room. But eversince, the news about the PS3 slim came out, I'm torn and in a dilema!

I dont know if I should just buy the stand alone Bluray or buy the PS3.

I already own an original 60Gig PS3 in another bedroom that I use to play games and my intention was to get another bluray player for the living so we can watch movies on the big screen TV there.

My wife suggested to get the PS3 slim to use for games only, and to bring the 60gig "fat" PS3 into the living room for movies and also we can take advantage of all the card readers it offers to look at pics on the bigger LCD.

so, that being said, I'll listen to any suggestions.

Thank you all in advance

Alix

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Your wifes a smart woman. Can she talk to mine about a second PS3?

Really though I think you are going about it the right way. The only reason to not get a PS3 was if you wanted a stand alone BD player that was IR capable and maybe had some extra features like NetFlix streaming.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'd say your wife's idea is a good one.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I think your wife has the right idea. Since this is a gaming subforum, I think most here will agree (the PS3 is such a high value, versatile product). However, I think you will get a better cross section of opinions if you ask this in the blu-ray player subforum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I'm sure my wife will be happy that everyone agrees with her! LOL (as much as she hates me playing that FIFA game)

I will post this in the Bluray forum and see what kind of responses I'll get.

·
Banned
540 Posts
This is the Playstation forum not the Sony BDP-S560 forum. What kind of answer did you expect to get?

*edit* PS3 all the way.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
For three hundred it is a no brainer. Granted I own two PS3's but I still do not see any reason as an avid movie buff,gamer and more to own a standalone. There was some idiotic article trying to make a case for buying a BD laptop instead of a PS3 SLim. At least the writer had the sense to state early in the article that if money is a factor then really the discussion has little or no merit since a BD laptop will cost 3 times as much or more. Stupid really even writing that article.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I would agree with others that overall the PS3 is the better piece of overall hardware, however these are the reason why I would choose the stand alone over the PS3.

1. Bitstream output (if you so wish). Your Pre-amp will then light up the appropriate signal (DD HD, DTS MA etc) which the PS3 will never do as it will only do LPCM (from an audio point of view does not matter, but hey, some of us like seeing the DD-HD or DTS-MA light actually work on our expensive pre-amps).

2. IR/RF remote. Rather than making an expensive workaround and buying a Blu-tooth to IR/RF adaptor, because your univeral remotes will not work. It makes home integration/automation a bit harder.

3. Rack mounting, can be done with a PS3 but the shape of it makes it hard to make flush with the front of the rack.

4. Potentially faster load times. It says the BDP-560 can start discs in 6 seconds.

5. New PS3 slim may have have the power bar outside the box, kind of like the power brick for the Xbox. Depending on space/cabinate etc, might be an issue.

Personally, I am about to buy 2-3 blu-ray players to integrate with setups that are currently in construction in masterbedroom, family room and office. I was keen on buying PS3's but the workaround to get things to work with control4 setups, universal remotes, etc, are not worth the hassel. I may end up buying a PS3 and stand alone player for one room anyways. My home theater will have both.

Also the standalone is onsale at amazon at $269 (and free ship/no taxes)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The PSU is still internal in the Slim and HDMI CEC can make integration easier if the consumer owns compatible equipment.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/17036503

I would agree with others that overall the PS3 is the better piece of overall hardware, however these are the reason why I would choose the stand alone over the PS3.

1. Bitstream output (if you so wish). Your Pre-amp will then light up the appropriate signal (DD HD, DTS MA etc) which the PS3 will never do as it will only do LPCM (from an audio point of view does not matter, but hey, some of us like seeing the DD-HD or DTS-MA light actually work on our expensive pre-amps).

2. IR/RF remote. Rather than making an expensive workaround and buying a Blu-tooth to IR/RF adaptor, because your univeral remotes will not work. It makes home integration/automation a bit harder.

3. Rack mounting, can be done with a PS3 but the shape of it makes it hard to make flush with the front of the rack.

4. Potentially faster load times. It says the BDP-560 can start discs in 6 seconds.

5. New PS3 slim may have have the power bar outside the box, kind of like the power brick for the Xbox. Depending on space/cabinate etc, might be an issue.

Personally, I am about to buy 2-3 blu-ray players to integrate with setups that are currently in construction in masterbedroom, family room and office. I was keen on buying PS3's but the workaround to get things to work with control4 setups, universal remotes, etc, are not worth the hassel. I may end up buying a PS3 and stand alone player for one room anyways. My home theater will have both.

Also the standalone is onsale at amazon at $269 (and free ship/no taxes)

Well several of your points are now immaterial, since it has been confirmed the Slim WILL bitstream the HD audio codecs. And although it isn't an IR solution those that have a Bravia tv, which I have, can use the new Slim with Bravia sync/HDMI CEC to turn on and off the PS3, tv, and receiver all with one button. One could also use the Bravia tv remote to scroll the XMB and I would guess you could access things on the XMB like Blu Ray.!!

So...

1. It does Bitstream

2. If you have a Bravia tv you now have the ability to use its remote for the PS3 XMB, and I would guess with HDMI CEC on a display that isn't a bravia or sony one could use the remote for the display in some way related to the PS3.

3. Put it on the top of the rack. I know this is an issue for some, but really almost anyone can work around this and it maybe the least plausible reason for not owning a PS3 as a BD player for HT.

4. I would still be surprised if ANY SA can load as fast as the PS3 and since we are now getting down to single digits as far as seconds go, less and less an issue overall

5. Power is NOT outside the unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts