AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to get an actual PS3 update disc instead of doing it online so I can get DTS-HD? Is there anyway at all because through the computer is a pain in the butt? Thanks guys J.H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/14229170


Is there anyway to get an actual PS3 update disc instead of doing it online so I can get DTS-HD? Is there anyway at all because through the computer is a pain in the butt? Thanks guys J.H.

You have several options....
  1. Hook-up the PS3 to the internet and do it thru "Settings".
  2. Get the files on your PC and put it on a USB stick and again go to settings and install it.
  3. Contact Sony for a disc but it will cost you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimplepoppermd /forum/post/14229583


dont think so

Actually, I've seen numerous posts on other forums that claim it works just fine. You definitely need for follow the same folder layout used for USB devices:


/PS3/UPDATE/


I haven't tried it myself so I can't claim firsthand knowledge, but you could certainly give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/14229170


Is there anyway to get an actual PS3 update disc instead of doing it online so I can get DTS-HD? Is there anyway at all because through the computer is a pain in the butt? Thanks guys J.H.

the best way is wireless.. do you have a wireless network in your house??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/14229170


Is there anyway to get an actual PS3 update disc instead of doing it online so I can get DTS-HD? Is there anyway at all because through the computer is a pain in the butt? Thanks guys J.H.

You need to find a way to use the internet for this; there are updates several times per year.


If you can't/don't want to network your PS3, using a thumb drive is the next easiest method, followed by burning your own CDs. The PS3 site provides links and info: http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/systemupdate


>>>

You can update your system software by any of the following methods:


* System Update »

Update using the PS3 system's [System Update] feature.

* Update using a PC »

Download update data using a PC and save on storage media* or a USB Mass Storage device. Copy the update data to the PS3 system's hard disk drive and perform the update.

*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3 system.

* Update using disc media »

Update using update data that is included on a game disc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the help. The problem is that my internet connection is far from my HT. So its a problem here. The only thing Toshiba got right with HD-DVD was the updates were sent in the mail. I still get firmware updates and they have abandoned HD-DVD. Thanks again J.H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/14234236


Thanks guys for the help. The problem is that my internet connection is far from my HT. So its a problem here. The only thing Toshiba got right with HD-DVD was the updates were sent in the mail. I still get firmware updates and they have abandoned HD-DVD. Thanks again J.H.

If you can burn a CD or write to a jump drive you don't have a problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to burn a CD once and when I put it in the PS3 it would not download. Am I missing something? J.H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/14234935


I tried to burn a CD once and when I put it in the PS3 it would not download. Am I missing something? J.H.

There are very explicit instructions at the link I posted. Did you follow them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
 http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...html#update_PC


Quoting from the page:


"1. Create a folder on the storage media in which to save the update data.

Using a PC, create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device. Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named “UPDATE”.


2. Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in step 1."


End quote.


So, it's: Storage media > PS3 > UPDATE > PS3UPDAT.PUP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
The software updates are also supposedly available on some game discs. However, I do not know of a list that shows what discs have what version of the firmware on them. That may not be a bad idea for a new thread here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/14240600


The software updates are also supposedly available on some game discs. However, I do not know of a list that shows what discs have what version of the firmware on them. That may not be a bad idea for a new thread here.

That's usually going to be pretty useless; Sony is usually at least a version ahead of whatever's made it onto commercially-released games. If a game needs a particular firmware version in order to function it will include it, but that will pretty much never be the very latest version.


Sometimes a firmware update will include fixes for a particular game, but obviously that update won't be on the game disc until it's re-issued, by which time Sony will have moved on to an even later version.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top