AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my 60gb finally died on me yesterday. I had it since dec 2006. I have been wanting to buy a slim model anyways so no big deal. I went to my nearest walmart, sold out. Ok, decided to call all the walmarts of the area "sold out". Went to target, kmart,sears,toys r us, bestbuy, gamestop, sold out. wth is going on? Why isnt there enough units for everybody, this console has been out since dec 2006. Sony, whats the problem?Yes i can buy online on amazon and on newegg as well, but I rather buy locally, that way I can walk in the store and return the item if I want to or exchange it if I need to. Anyways is this happening nationwide?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
When I was looking for a Slim for my bedroom recently, it took me about a week to find the 120GB model that I wanted. The 250GBs appeared to be plentiful both in B&M stores, as well as online. I still haven't found a 120 locally, but I did find one last Wednesday on Amazon.

Since this PS3 is primarily for movies, I didn't want to spend the extra $50 for the bigger harddrive. I figure by the time I need a bigger drive in this PS3, I can get a 500GB for that same $50.

I was under the impression that it was simply the 120GB that had become scarce.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
According to the peeps at my work, there seems to be some problems with the proprietary hard drives, hence the shortage in supply at the moment.

My take on it, Sony is creating a demand.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Beat me to it Zook, Amazon is showing in stock on the 250 GB and now its showing the 120 will be in stock on 2/19

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/18146654

According to the peeps at my work, there seems to be some problems with the proprietary hard drives, hence the shortage in supply at the moment.

My take on it, Sony is creating a demand.

Which proprietary hard drive are you talking about? You can undo one screw on the PS3 and replace the stock hard drive with your own. Buy a 500GB for $100 and make your 120 slim into a 500 slim.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the XBox 360 and their massively overpriced drives?

·
Registered
411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL /forum/post/18147425

Which proprietary hard drive are you talking about? You can undo one screw on the PS3 and replace the stock hard drive with your own. Buy a 500GB for $100 and make your 120 slim into a 500 slim.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the XBox 360 and their massively overpriced drives?

I think he's talking about the hdd manufactured with the consol not some random hdd you slap in yourself.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/18146652

The 60GB model is the best PS3. Why would you want a slim? Bravialink?

The 60GB is the best until its upside-down processors, questionable solder, and inadequate heat sinking cause the chips to fail to connect to the board properly, triggering a YLOD that can only be fixed for steadily decreasing periods of time, if at all.

So personally, I prefer a Slim I can actually use to my 60GB, which has become little more than an attractive brick.

- Jer

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous112 /forum/post/18147614

I think he's talking about the hdd manufactured with the consol not some random hdd you slap in yourself.

My original 60 was a Seagate HDD, not manufactured by Sony (as proprietary would imply).

When I upgraded it, I went with WD, rather than "some random HDD" i decided to slap in myself
. Some would say that WD suxxxxorrzzxxx, but it's been fine for me.

Just curious now if the Slims are using a Sony manufactured proprietary HDD as Shorty seems to indicate above???

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 /forum/post/18148089

My original 60 was a Seagate HDD, not manufactured by Sony (as proprietary would imply).

When I upgraded it, I went with WD, rather than "some random HDD" i decided to slap in myself

Just curious now if the Slims are using a Sony manufactured proprietary HDD as Shorty seems to indicate above???

No, they don't. I'm sure Shorty meant 'stock', rather than 'proprietary'.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 /forum/post/18148089

Every Maxtor I have EVER owned has failed horribly on me while the Western Digitals are still going strong....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.