AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If off-topic for this forum, but I believe several people on this forum have or have had very similar setups to mine:

PS3 to XBR4 with a Yamaha HTR-6030. Question: I'm trying to pass audio & video to the XBR4 via HDMI and then pass out 5.1 surround to the Yamaha via the optical out from the XBR 4 but my receiver only seems to be getting 2 channels, not 5.1.

Any thoughts/advice? I needed to try this as I've run out of optical inputs on my receiver.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
what he said ^^^. the best way is to connect the ps3 directly to the receiver, either via hdmi or optical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard /forum/post/18241609

As you are out of optical inputs on your receiver and you have no hdmi inputs, you could get one of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It is a manual switch but it will give you 2 extra inputs for

I thought about doing that, but my family/kids can barely handle switching to the right inputs as things are now, a manual switch at the back of the SS unit would surely muck things up.

Thanks everyone for their replies/suggestions!

·
Registered
136 Posts
not sure if this is ideal But I had a similar situation a year or 2 ago not only with optical inputs on my receiver but only having 1 hdmi and 2 component on my older Hitachi hd tv I looked high and low and ended up getting a cables to go 3 play HD component video switch. They run around 35$ and are powered , gives you 3 component and 3 optical ins to 1 out. they have a remote and I AM NOT POSITIVE but I think they may also be signal activated so as long as you do not have more than one source powered on the device should switch to the active input, also my Harmony remote had the codes in its database for quick easy programing!

http://www.amazon.com/40324-3-Play-C...7645419&sr=1-1

looks like the price has jumped a little!

·
Registered
245 Posts
It won't work - I have the exact same setup. I run the TOSLINK/optical out of my PS3 to my reciever instead. I also have the TOSLINK from my cable box going directly to my reciever. This is setup so I didn't have to turn on my reciever everytime I wanted to watch TV. (having all HDMI's running through the reciever)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts