AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the setup:

I have a ps3 hooked to a HDTV through HDMI cable. Optical out is connected to Bose v20, as I want to keep the option to play the sound through either the TV (choose HDMI in sound output), or bose (choose optical out).

The problem:

While I am able to play all games in DOlby 5.1, BD movies are playing in PCM 2.0

Attempts:

I tried changing BD sound output to bitstream. When I change it to bitstream, the bose display shows Dolby 5.1, but the sounds become muffled. If I change playback to PCM, sound is clear, but display shows PCM 2.0. I think I was able to play Dolby 5.1 on my BD movies with clear sound earlier, but not sure what I changed recently which is causing this problem

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Manumani

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979673

First the setup:

I have a ps3 hooked to a HDTV through HDMI cable. Optical out is connected to Bose v20, as I want to keep the option to play the sound through either the TV (choose HDMI in sound output), or bose (choose optical out).

The problem:

While I am able to play all games in DOlby 5.1, BD movies are playing in PCM 2.0

Attempts:

I tried changing BD sound output to bitstream. When I change it to bitstream, the bose display shows Dolby 5.1, but the sounds become muffled. If I change playback to PCM, sound is clear, but display shows PCM 2.0. I think I was able to play Dolby 5.1 on my BD movies with clear sound earlier, but not sure what I changed recently which is causing this problem

Regards

Manumani

Problem:

Bose.

Solution:

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It does sound as if the Bose equipment is the problem. It doesnt seem to be handling Bitstream as well as it should. Why dont you try connecting HDMI to the Bose and see it has the same problem?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979673

First the setup:

The problem:

Attempts:

Regards

Manumani

When you switch the output to optical are you putting a check mark on the DTS, and DD boxes in the sound settings of the ps3? I think pcm is checked by default, but you have to put check marks on the other sound formats manually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the relevant boxes checked.

Funny thing is, I think earlier, when I had an SDTV, avi files etc. used to play in pcm 2.0 while the blu-ray played fine in 5.1. Now that I have a hdtv its the other way round.

Manumani

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979783

I am quite satisfied with my Bose system. So unless you really know what is the problem, please do not waste ur time as well as mine.

I apologize if I came off as rude. Bose bashing on any forum without provocation is not acceptable according to me. If someone has a Bose product, it's by his own choice. Just because someone owns a bose, does not mean that he/she should be a targetted.

Regards

Manumani

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16985950

I apologize if I came off as rude. Bose bashing on any forum without provocation is not acceptable according to me. If someone has a Bose product, it's by his own choice. Just because someone owns a bose, does not mean that he/she should be a targetted.

Regards

Manumani

Don't sweat it, I was being a smart ass. Anyways I am serious about Bose being

the problem. The "receiver" is a very poor performing when it comes to decoding.

Now I personally never audition or tested the V20 but 2 years ago my friend got

the Bose and when being fed DD/DD-EX/DTS/DTS-ES the sound is muffled like it

the sound is going through a cloth. He returned his set back to Fry's Elec. I did

like the sound of the Bose's "dynamics" but cannot justify $2,000 price tag.

More like $500. Anyways I hope you fix your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.