AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the setup:

I have a ps3 hooked to a HDTV through HDMI cable. Optical out is connected to Bose v20, as I want to keep the option to play the sound through either the TV (choose HDMI in sound output), or bose (choose optical out).

The problem:

While I am able to play all games in DOlby 5.1, BD movies are playing in PCM 2.0

Attempts:

I tried changing BD sound output to bitstream. When I change it to bitstream, the bose display shows Dolby 5.1, but the sounds become muffled. If I change playback to PCM, sound is clear, but display shows PCM 2.0. I think I was able to play Dolby 5.1 on my BD movies with clear sound earlier, but not sure what I changed recently which is causing this problem

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Manumani

· Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979673

First the setup:

I have a ps3 hooked to a HDTV through HDMI cable. Optical out is connected to Bose v20, as I want to keep the option to play the sound through either the TV (choose HDMI in sound output), or bose (choose optical out).

The problem:

While I am able to play all games in DOlby 5.1, BD movies are playing in PCM 2.0

Attempts:

I tried changing BD sound output to bitstream. When I change it to bitstream, the bose display shows Dolby 5.1, but the sounds become muffled. If I change playback to PCM, sound is clear, but display shows PCM 2.0. I think I was able to play Dolby 5.1 on my BD movies with clear sound earlier, but not sure what I changed recently which is causing this problem

Regards

Manumani

Problem:

Bose.

Solution:

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

· Registered
2,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979673

First the setup:

The problem:

Attempts:

Regards

Manumani

When you switch the output to optical are you putting a check mark on the DTS, and DD boxes in the sound settings of the ps3? I think pcm is checked by default, but you have to put check marks on the other sound formats manually.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the relevant boxes checked.

Funny thing is, I think earlier, when I had an SDTV, avi files etc. used to play in pcm 2.0 while the blu-ray played fine in 5.1. Now that I have a hdtv its the other way round.

Manumani

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16979783

I am quite satisfied with my Bose system. So unless you really know what is the problem, please do not waste ur time as well as mine.

I apologize if I came off as rude. Bose bashing on any forum without provocation is not acceptable according to me. If someone has a Bose product, it's by his own choice. Just because someone owns a bose, does not mean that he/she should be a targetted.

Regards

Manumani

· Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumani /forum/post/16985950

I apologize if I came off as rude. Bose bashing on any forum without provocation is not acceptable according to me. If someone has a Bose product, it's by his own choice. Just because someone owns a bose, does not mean that he/she should be a targetted.

Regards

Manumani

Don't sweat it, I was being a smart ass. Anyways I am serious about Bose being

the problem. The "receiver" is a very poor performing when it comes to decoding.

Now I personally never audition or tested the V20 but 2 years ago my friend got

the Bose and when being fed DD/DD-EX/DTS/DTS-ES the sound is muffled like it

the sound is going through a cloth. He returned his set back to Fry's Elec. I did

like the sound of the Bose's "dynamics" but cannot justify $2,000 price tag.

More like $500. Anyways I hope you fix your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.