AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a number of times that PS3 is stuck at 7.1 MPCM. I am not seeing this, so I am wondering under what circumstances this is happening?

My setup -

PS3 connected to HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V2700

7.1 speaker setup

Tests

* Top Gun, DVD, 5.1 DD; Receiver showed 3/2/.1 indicating a 5.1 signal

* Predator, Blu-ray, 5.1 DTS-HD MA; Receiver showed 3/2/.1

* Golden Compass, Bluray, 7.1, 3/4/.1 as expected

* Domino, DVD, DTS-ES 6.1 discrete, 3/4/.1 - not sure what that means, I "think" the PS3 is decoding DTS-ES properly and probably sending the rear surround as Left/Right back surround as PCM channels

* X Men Last Stand, DVD, Dolby Digital EX; 3/2/.1 - I can apply DPLIIx manually - this seems about right to me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You know, I used to think the same thing, and in all honesty I really believe that it was like that, but after the 2.41 update, the audio stream actually changes for me depending on the content. Have you updated to 2.41?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
It happens with 2.0/stereo sources, like CDs or MP3 music. Meaning it outputs the full 7.1 channels, with sound only in the FR/FL and just "blank" or silence in the other channels. It does this also with some games, like GTAIV notably.

Also, the PS3 doesn't do 6.1 (DTS-ES Discrete) properly. It only outputs 5.1 (Dolby-EX and DTS-ES Matrix are native 5.1 formats anyway). I don't know what it does with the SB channel, but I assume it just throws it out.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds /forum/post/14276531

You know, I used to think the same thing, and in all honesty I really believe that it was like that, but after the 2.41 update, the audio stream actually changes for me depending on the content. Have you updated to 2.41?

I haven't. Maybe I'll try it tonight.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wild, it shows up as 3/2/.1. I wonder if they ever plan on fixing that?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk /forum/post/14276532

Also, the PS3 doesn't do 6.1 (DTS-ES Discrete) properly. It only outputs 5.1 (Dolby-EX and DTS-ES Matrix are native 5.1 formats anyway). I don't know what it does with the SB channel, but I assume it just throws it out.

That's odd. I thought I tried that, and it looked like the PS3 was decoding the discrete channel. See my comments on Domino.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like something fixable. Maybe they don't get many complaints because people are not using it as a CD player, or don't care that they can't apply processing if when the receiver would allow it?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
They may not get a lot of complaints directly, but a lot of people on AVSForum have complained about it. It seems like Sony would have to go out of their way to turn 2 channel into multichannel PCM. Hard to imagine a fix would be that difficult. Given how responsive they've been about everything else, maybe the fix isn't as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the CD portion of the software uses some generic output routine which is also used for games, and that routine always makes it look like theres a 7.1 signal.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk /forum/post/14276532

Have you upgraded to 2.41 yet? I ask because I tried it with LOTR:FOTR:EE the DTS-ES discrete track and the PS3 was outputting 7.1 MCH (as you would expect it to do with a 6.1 track.)
Switching to the DD-EX track produced 5.1 MCH from the PS3.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we figured out that the latest software for the PS3 seem to correctly decode DTS 6.1 discrete.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
^^^ LOL ... sometimes it takes multiple confirmations for the truth to sink in around here.

OTOH, I don't see what the problem was with just using the triangle menu to switch to bitstream.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts