AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new Mits WD-73738, a PS3, and an older HDMI receiver that doesn't support 3D. What I want to do is hook up a splitter to the PS3 and split the signal to the TV and AVR so the AVR will still get the audio and I won't have to switch back and forth from optical to HDMI when watching normal BD's. I know that normally with a splitter, this will not work because of the least common donominator issue with EDID. However, I have a Gefen HDMI Detective that I will program the EDID of the TV so that both ports see 3D.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work or am I wasting my money? The switch should be shipped today, so I won't have it to try it for myself for a few days. I do already have the detective, though.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Let us know how it works.

Here's what I did as we were not getting rid of the PS3 and fully replacing it. We depend on it for a solid media server, games, etc. I also did not want to buy a new receiver nor did I want to spend hundreds on a dual hdmi out bluray player. My Denon 3808 was not cheap and while replacing it is on my to do list, replacing it just for 3D is not.

Given the PS3 when doing 3D does not pass the HD Audio when doing 3D I went ahead and hooked it up to the AVR via optical and directly to the MIT 65738 via hdmi for video. 3D all very happy.

I picked up a most excellent bluray player on sale at Best Buy for the cost of a splitter. Its outrageous how cheap they are and how good the cheap blurays are.

Hooked it up to the AVR and then out to the TV.

For what a splitter cost I have a dedicated bluray player to preserve hd audio, dvd's, tv shows, etc., and the PS3 for 3D, games, 3D games and a great media server.

Seems goofed at first but at the end of the day very easy to setup, not much out of pocket expense, and no fooling around with splitters and switches.

AND no big investment just for 3D that while fun is not main playback and may or may not make it as a technology.

This plan also passed the wife test......

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, true. I may look into that option myself. Never thought of that.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
It dawned on me at Best Buy when I was looking at the splitters that cost 100 bucks hanging on a fancy display rack while at the end of the aisle was a stack of Sony S470's and S570's each for just over 100 bucks.

I have the S570. Very satisfied and with the PS3 being a powerful media server, net flix, PS3 Media Server software, I'm good to go for some time.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even use my PS3 for that. Just for playing movies. I use my 360 for that.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, but all I do is stream from my Win7 box, so I don't need the HD space in the PS3. I have 1.9TB total on my workstation. ;-)

·
Registered
492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/19533694

So I have a new Mits WD-73738, a PS3, and an older HDMI receiver that doesn't support 3D. What I want to do is hook up a splitter to the PS3 and split the signal to the TV and AVR so the AVR will still get the audio and I won't have to switch back and forth from optical to HDMI when watching normal BD's. I know that normally with a splitter, this will not work because of the least common donominator issue with EDID. However, I have a Gefen HDMI Detective that I will program the EDID of the TV so that both ports see 3D.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work or am I wasting my money? The switch should be shipped today, so I won't have it to try it for myself for a few days. I do already have the detective, though.

You have a DLP that does checkerboard. Why are you making it so complicated with a splitter when you can get the lower end Panasonic 100 Blu-ray player that does checkerboard and is compatible with your AVR? It might be a little more expensive than a $100 splitter (it's going for about $150), but if your intent is to play 3D blu-rays, the Panasonic is a sure bet and it's easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts