AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything similar on avsforum, so here goes...

I have a PS3 and Rockband in my living room and would like to be able to use it with a (future)projector in my basement and (future)projector on the patio WITHOUT moving it from my living room. I know the PS3 controllers(bluetooth) have a 50 ft range(tested this out) so that isn't a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with routing connections to each USB port on the PS3 with multiple powered hubs?

My plan is the following:

1. PS3 in living room

2. Receiver and all other electronics in basement (aka: control center)

3. PS3 USB ports(2) to USB cables(2)

4. USB cables to USB over CAT6 receivers(2).

5. CAT6 converters to CAT6 cables(2) - Drop cables to basement.

6. CAT6 cables in basement to CAT6 to USB senders(2).

7. USB senders to USB cables(2).

8. USB cables to USB OUT ports on USB 7-port or 4-port hubs(2).

9. USB IN ports to USB cables(2) to back of patch panel on patio. Should be close enough (15ft) to accomplish this with USB cables. Rockband dongles into patch panel face(2)

10. USB IN ports to USB cables(2) to back of patch panel in basement. Should be close enough (15ft) to accomplish this with USB cables. Rockband dongles into patch panel face(2)

11. If playing in living room, I can just unhook the USB cable and plug in the Rockband dongles. If I wanted to be really slick, I could send the USB hub connections back up and plug the dongles into a patch panel in the living room instead so as to not have to disconnect anything.

The video and audio is another trick... maybe as simple as routing the PS3 to an HDMI capable integrated receiver(with multiple HDMI video outs)?

I'm not sure how well the powered USB hubs or routing over CAT6 will work. Theoretically, the powered hub should work according to various message boards and PS3 sites.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing before? It would be cool to just take the Rockband instruments outside, plug them into a patch panel, set the receiver to 'Patio' or 'Projector 2' and rock the block.

I'll post an image of the planned setup soon.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i havent tried this with a ps3, but at my work we use cat5 extenders all over the place. we use the usb ones and dvi extenders for monitors, and they all work great. i would suggest getting an hdmi extender for the video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.