AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using component video output and watching Blu-ray movies, does the PS3 downscale to 480p or stay at 720p/1080i?

I'm assuming because of HDCP that it will be downscaled, but I thought I'd ask anyway.Can anyone confirm this for me?

I searched the forum and didn't find any threads that answered my question.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the thread " PS3 on Computer Monitor ", Vortex3D mentions he has his PS3 through component video working. It's proof enough for me, but if anyone else would still try it, I'd be grateful. Here's the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/0

I'm using my PS3 with Dell 2405 through Component Video at 1080i. Dell 2405 doesn't support HDCP, so I couldn't use HDMI to DVI.

1080i capable games or Blu-ray movies will run at 1080i. 720p games will run at 720p.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm using component video, and my Blu-ray movies play @ 1080i

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 /forum/post/0

Good question, my friend has a 720p LCD tv and would like to know if upcoming 1080P PS3 Games will be downscaled to 480P since his TV will not accept 1080P, and the PS3 in game mode has no scaler.

It will downscale the games either to 720P or 1080i. I think its problems relate to it upscaling not down scaling.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox /forum/post/0

When using component video output and watching Blu-ray movies, does the PS3 downscale to 480p or stay at 720p/1080i?

I'm assuming because of HDCP that it will be downscaled, but I thought I'd ask anyway.Can anyone confirm this for me?

I searched the forum and didn't find any threads that answered my question.

It was mentioned from the start that the studios were not going to use the image constraint token or limit the component output (up to 1080i) in anyway for near future Blu-ray and HD DVD titles. Will movies further down the road downscale over component by Studio choice? That's the question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.