AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a volume control outside of the movie playback mode for PS3?

I like to watch my movies loudly, as do most of the folks here I'm sure. The same volume level outside of movie play back operation (e.g. gaming, navigation) is however too hot. Too often I find myself scaring the living day light out of guests (including me), after a BD/DVD movie, by unintentionally navigating to a game icon and the subsequent blasting of the preview (game) sounds.

Has anyone else experience the same? Any work around other than remembering to turn the receiver wayyy down after each movie?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
While in movie playback mode (dvd or br), press the select key on the controller to bring up the onscreen control panel. One of those icons will allow you to apply a fixed volume gain to the movie soundtrack (it should stay at that setting for all movies, thereafter). If you set it to one of the "+" values, then you won't have to turn the knob on your amp so high to achieve your desired high volumes. So when you exit movie mode, the sound effects for everything else won't be blaring, as well.

I'm not sure if/how this would work if you are using digital out or bitstreaming the audio to your a/v gear, though. You may not have this option in that scenario. Some soundtracks could be fussy if you are using one of these "+" settings and output the audio via analog output, if there are very high peaks. You may notice some clipped audio, in which case you should try a lower "+" setting (or go back to default 0).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm aware of that feature. In fact I am "bitstreaming" as well. I don't believe that works as the result. In the event it does work, it'd throw off my AVR's calibration. As its, when it the AVR shows -03db, I'm calibrated to actually playing -03db below reference level. I'd like to keep that if possible. I was hoping for a solution that attenuates menu/game volume.

I appreciate your response none the less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts