AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,


I just purchased the Panasonic 50" GT series 3D TV. I am using it with the PS3 for 3D movies, however, I would like the opinion of some experts.


Given that I use the PS3 my belief (and I could be wrong) is that:


1. The PS3 takes the picture for 3D and converts it to 720p for left/right image to get pass the limitation of using HDMI 1.3x


2. Given this, you lose picture quality when using the PS3 for 3D playback only.


3. If you purchase a 3D player, you will get the full 1080p left/right image and the picture should be technically better.


Can the experts confirm if the above is true?


Also, what is the recommended best 3D player available at this time? Has anyone done some testing of some of the players?


Would be interested to know.


Thanks,


Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying that the image that is displayed from the PS3 is the same image as a 3D player?


When I say image, I mean format (1080 or 720 or whatever).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner
Hello,


I just purchased the Panasonic 50" GT series 3D TV. I am using it with the PS3 for 3D movies, however, I would like the opinion of some experts.


Given that I use the PS3 my belief (and I could be wrong) is that:


1. The PS3 takes the picture for 3D and converts it to 720p for left/right image to get pass the limitation of using HDMI 1.3x


2. Given this, you lose picture quality when using the PS3 for 3D playback only.


3. If you purchase a 3D player, you will get the full 1080p left/right image and the picture should be technically better.


Can the experts confirm if the above is true?


Also, what is the recommended best 3D player available at this time? Has anyone done some testing of some of the players?


Would be interested to know.


Thanks,


Brian



there is no best 3d player out..the ps3 or the pansonic 350 with its dual hdmi makes it good as u dont need to replace your avr..guranteed the oppo bdp-93 when out soon will be the best 3d player on the market
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs /forum/post/19510822


there is no best 3d player out..the ps3 or the pansonic 350 with its dual hdmi makes it good as u dont need to replace your avr..guranteed the oppo bdp-93 when out soon will be the best 3d player on the market

What about dual HDMI allows you to keep your current AVR? Are you referring to 3D use only or something?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 /forum/post/19512223


What about dual HDMI allows you to keep your current AVR? Are you referring to 3D use only or something?


Thanks

A lot of current AVR's won't be able to pass 3D and Audio through their HDMI1.3 ports. To get around this two HDMI outs on the Blu-ray player are required; one to go directly to your 3D TV (Video) and one to go to you AVR (Audio).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs /forum/post/19510822


there is no best 3d player out..the ps3 or the pansonic 350 with its dual hdmi makes it good as u dont need to replace your avr..guranteed the oppo bdp-93 when out soon will be the best 3d player on the market

The BDP-93 is starting to ship on 11/22 to people who signed up early with OPPO.


I'll be getting mine soon, although there will be many firmware updates as they are still adding and cleaning up certain features.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/19510741


So are you saying that the image that is displayed from the PS3 is the same image as a 3D player?


When I say image, I mean format (1080 or 720 or whatever).

When playing a 3D BD, you get 1920x1080 per eye at 24 frames/sec. Same as any other 3D BD player. What you don't get is lossless audio like DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD. You only get digital audio from the optical/digital audio output like DD5.1 or DTS5.1.


When playing 3D games from a 3D BD, max resolution is 1280x720 per eye at 60 frames/sec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/19513594


It's also $900.

It's $499 and includes everything the 83 had plus many extras. Most "regular" 3d machines are selling in the $350+ range (yes, I'll admit that some manufacturers are giving it away for free).


Basically you get what you pay for. The 83 has been rated "the best" by almost all reviewers. Here's hoping that the 93 will follow in its footsteps.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top