AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it's mainly for saving games or for use a media server.

I am an HD DVD supporter, but see the writing on the wall. I plan to get a BDP this summer if the price is right. I also want profile 2.0 as I don't like the idea of a crippled player. I am not interested in gaming, but see no stand alones that are going to be upgraded to 2.0 on the market.

I would consider the PS3 with the Sony card as the price is close to right, but I have a question. I am wondering why one needs the hard drive on the PS3. I have an HTPC in my rack and have no need for the PS3 to do what it does already. For someone like me, is there any reason to purchase one of the more expensive PS3's or is the low end one fine if I only plan to just use it as a player. Also, what am I missing if I do want to do some gaming in terms of capability? Also, is it "written in stone" that these will be upgraded to 2.0 via firmware or could we be out of luck here too as all the standalone folks will be?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing is "written in stone". However, given that the PS3 is by a huge margin the most common Blu-Ray player sold. Sony would be shooting itself in the foot to not release support the Profile 2.0. Not that Sony doesn't stumble somtimes (see Beta, Minidisc, SACD, original PS3 pricing, etc., etc., etc.), but it's nearly inconceivable that they wouldn't update the PS3. From a hardware perspective it's already 2.0 compliant so it's strictly a firmware update issue.

As to the hard drive... I have a 60GB version and I'm rapidly filling it up, but I'm a gamer and I download demos. I think if a person was to strictly use it as a BD player the smaller driver would be more than big enough.

Regardless, Sony does officially support hard drive upgrade for the PS3... so if it is too small down the road you can upgrade the hard drive yourself.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If movie-watching is your primary goal, then not only is there no reason to get a more expensive model (if you even could, 60GBs are gone forever and 80GBs aren't far behind), you'd be better served with a 40GB anyway.

Advantages of the 40GB:

cheaper (should be $299 next week, vs. $499 for the 80GB if you can find one)

quieter

cooler

lower power draw

Disadvantages:

No PS2 backwards compatibility (not a problem if you have no PS2 games)

Doesn't play back SACDs

2 USB ports instead of 4

No memory card readers (though you can hook one up to a USB port if you like)

As you can see, the disadvantages aren't that big of a deal for non-gamers. The upgrade to Profile 2.0 has been officially announced by Sony at CES, they just haven't given a release date yet.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
The hdd really does come to a shine when you get into the "media server" (more accurately, "media player") kinds of uses. If you plan to use it as a central media jukebox of sorts, that hdd space starts to make a lot of sense. Rip all your CD's to aac, dump in all your digital camera pix, load up on downloaded videos...it becomes your "one stop shop" for anything that you would want to hear/see on your stereo/tv.

True, you can achieve all of that by streaming from your pc hdd ("media server" in its truest sense), but just storing it locally on your ps3 is not a bad option if you prefer to avoid all of those sticky logistics of networking/wifi, hosting your collection via dlna server, and transcoding, yadda-yadda-yadda.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/12930871

The hdd really does come to a shine when you get into the "media server" (more accurately, "media player") kinds of uses. If you plan to use it as a central media jukebox of sorts, that hdd space starts to make a lot of sense. Rip all your CD's to aac, dump in all your digital camera pix, load up on downloaded videos...it becomes your "one stop shop" for anything that you would want to hear/see on your stereo/tv.

True, you can achieve all of that by streaming from your pc hdd ("media server" in its truest sense), but just storing it locally on your ps3 is not a bad option if you prefer to avoid all of those sticky logistics of networking/wifi, hosting your collection via dlna server, and transcoding, yadda-yadda-yadda.

I noticed that XstreamHD, mentioned that you could use the PS3 as a media server and download movies onto it. (1080p with lossless sound) This is an application I would use if it actually comes to fruition.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/12931282

I noticed that XstreamHD, mentioned that you could use the PS3 as a media server and download movies onto it. (1080p with lossless sound) This is an application I would use if it actually comes to fruition.

No. xStreamHD is the media server (500GB, 1000GB, 2000GB options). It can send stream to the PS3 or any other DNLA device (Pioneer BD players for example). In this example the PS3 doesn't store anything it simply receives the stream in realtime + some buffering.

·
Banned
5,511 Posts
I personaly used my HDD space for storing gigs of mp3's to play thru my home stereo rcvr. Also stowed photos to show people on the big screen.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/12931282

In the interests of keeping the terminology straight, the ps3 is actually the media client in that scenario. The PC where the media is stored and sent out is the actual media server.

I guess from the perspective that you can stream movies stored on the ps3 to watch remotely on your psp, that would be an actual "ps3 media server" scenario.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you were speaking of some sort of dlna software, but I see this XstreamHD is something different- satellite-based digital stream. I'm not sure how it involves ps3.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks much for the feedback guys! I was thinking many of the things you said, just wanted some opinions from "already" users.

I will probably get one for $299 with the Sony card (read: $199
) which will finally hit my magic price point. I paid $210 for the A2. I will keep both regardless of what happens.

I'd need to lay it on it's side (ie: like a DVD player). That's not a problem, is it?

Thanks again,

Pat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight /forum/post/12932462

No. It was designed that way.

With all the photos I've seen, it seemed that it was designed to be upright

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Sorry, but the cheapest one as of today is $399. There is a 20% off Blu-ray player BestBuy coupon that may work to get the price down to $320. The $299 price is just a rumor at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan /forum/post/12932253

I will probably get one for $299 with the Sony card (read: $199
) which will finally hit my magic price point. I paid $210 for the A2. I will keep both regardless of what happens.

I'd need to lay it on it's side (ie: like a DVD player). That's not a problem, is it?

Thanks again,

Pat

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/12932741

Sorry, but the cheapest one as of today is $399. There is a 20% off Blu-ray player BestBuy coupon that may work to get the price down to $320. The $299 price is just a rumor at this point.

I think there is a $100 rebate when you use the sony card

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/12933272

I think there is a $100 rebate when you use the sony card

Yes but the base price is still $399, making the final price $299 after the $100 rebate. The OP said his magic number was "$199".

It would be great if the $299 price point rumor comes true, though. I haven't bought my PS3 yet because I am waiting for the DualShock 3 to come bundled...

Laurence

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/12933616

Yes but the base price is still $399, making the final price $299 after the $100 rebate. The OP said his magic number was "$199".

It would be great if the $299 price point rumor comes true, though. I haven't bought my PS3 yet because I am waiting for the DualShock 3 to come bundled...

Laurence

I'll be waiting til it does drop. I suspect it is more than a rumor. The mass adoption they are hoping for will only happen if the prices drop on the players. $399 is still too much for most people. This remains true even if HD DVD goes away.

Pat

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Since the dualshock 3 is du in march i think, maybe the present 80gig sku is being phased out for a new bundle with the DS3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts