AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current setup.

PS3 optical out -> Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

optical In (Windows 7 64-bit) -> Logitech z-5500 (via analog)

I've been trying to figure out a way to make use of the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with the above setup but couldn't make them work. I've tried installing the Dolby Digital Live pack and DTS pack but it only gives static noise instead of game BGM. Some say it's the problem with the sound card itself and some say it's because of Windows 7 and yet other people say it's both. Is there any way at all to make this happen?

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask more detailed information if needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
if you are using analog outputs from your sound card, DD Live or DTS Connect are useless. There is no point to them unless you are using a digital output.

These two technologies encode the multichannel PCM from the PC to Dolby or DTS for output over optical. Also, DDL and DTSC do not work when using Dolby/DTS decoding via the optical INput, which you indicate you are doing...this converts the DD/DTS from the PS3 to multichannel PCM in the PC.

Why you are doing this the way you are is a mystery to me. Why not connect the Z-5500's directly to the PS3 via optical and cut out the middle man? You are trying to get your PC to put out DD/DTS over optical from a Multichannel PCM signal created by decoding the DD/DTS from your PS3 via the optical input.

Connect the analog input on the speakers to the PC. Connect the optical input on the speakers to the PS3. Result: no switching, and DD/DTS from the PS3 with no trickery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply steven975. The silly reason why I'm trying to set it up this way is because I want to be able to hear PC sounds(e.g.: messenger) while I'm playing a PS3 game. I have a 24 inch LCD screen that the PS3 is hooked up to, so when I'm playing PS3 games my monitor is obviously outputting the game(duh) but I wanted to at least be able to hear the sound. I was well aware about the optical in on the z-5500 console but wanted to test out my X-Fi card since I already have it as an option.

That's that for your question. Now I'm gonna go back to your reply and try to digest what you said... confused a bit...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah... ok so DDL and DTSC, those two application is not going to be effective over analog lines... got it, no more delving into that path then... man.. is the optical out -> in the only choice for me then? for 5.1 channel that is.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAJINOFE /forum/post/18297395

Here is my current setup.

PS3 optical out -> Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

optical In (Windows 7 64-bit) -> Logitech z-5500 (via analog)

I've been trying to figure out a way to make use of the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with the above setup but couldn't make them work. I've tried installing the Dolby Digital Live pack and DTS pack but it only gives static noise instead of game BGM. Some say it's the problem with the sound card itself and some say it's because of Windows 7 and yet other people say it's both. Is there any way at all to make this happen?

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask more detailed information if needed. Thanks.

DD5.1 via Toslink optical in decoded works on my Audigy 2ZS Platinum under XP. Some complain about too much lag though.

P.J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/18298722

DD5.1 via Toslink optical in decoded works on my Audigy 2ZS Platinum under XP. Some complain about too much lag though.

P.J.

Yea I heard some of the older models of SB cards would work but creative apparently stripped the option of decoding those goodies and added PowerDVD licenses instead...
I bought my card a few years ago just for my very purpose in my first post and now it's just useless...

Oh and at that time I didn't have the z-5500 speakers, it was an old Klipcsh 5.1 with no optical in. bummer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts