AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just had two quick questions regarding my PS3 and plasma TV.

The first is, and I'm not sure if it does this with all TV's, but when putting in a DVD or BD, sometimes the screen flickers with pure static, and then with a green screen.. It's not that big of a deal, and all my movies have played fine, was just wondering if that's normal...

Secondly is, when I turn my PS3 off, the screen occassionally goes gray for a second with kind of a "imprint" in the screen of what was just on there.. It's actually really hard to explain. At first I thought it was burn in and freaked, but it'll do that if I have the game on for even one minute. However, that gray screen usually dissapears (along with the accompanying "imprints") and then it just goes pure black while still on the HDMI source with the PS3 turned off...

Again, not a huge deal, but just a little disconcerting at first.. Was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal or not?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendukoo /forum/post/0

Hello all.

I just had two quick questions regarding my PS3 and plasma TV.

The first is, and I'm not sure if it does this with all TV's, but when putting in a DVD or BD, sometimes the screen flickers with pure static, and then with a green screen.. It's not that big of a deal, and all my movies have played fine, was just wondering if that's normal...

Secondly is, when I turn my PS3 off, the screen occassionally goes gray for a second with kind of a "imprint" in the screen of what was just on there.. It's actually really hard to explain. At first I thought it was burn in and freaked, but it'll do that if I have the game on for even one minute. However, that gray screen usually dissapears (along with the accompanying "imprints") and then it just goes pure black while still on the HDMI source with the PS3 turned off...

Again, not a huge deal, but just a little disconcerting at first.. Was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal or not?

I have the 4253 model.What you described was image retention.I've had my tv for about 2 months now,with about 500 hours on it.In the beginning,I got image retention quickly and it seemed to stay there longer.But recently,I've noticed that 1) It takes longer for any static images to 'imprint',as you say, on the screen and 2)The retention seems to go away alot quicker.Usually running the white screen for 10 minutes eliminates the retention.I guess the phosphers are maturing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha.. How about the green screen/static flickering.. It's not a huge issue, but when I pop in a movie, it basically looks like the system is going spastic for a minute, and then doing its thing..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same tv. Im hooked up to a pioneer elite vsx74txvi via hdmi then hdmi from the receiver to the tv. I dont see any green screen or static.

But. I have my scientific atlanta 3250 box using dvi to hdmi right into the tv and sometimes i see the snow for a second. It seems to depend what order i turn on the tv and cable box. I think its just a delay before the tv picks up the hdmi signal.

I dont think you have anything to worry about

also make sure you select "game mode" on the tv setup when playing games, it bypasses some processing and is better for for gaming. It even makes the picture look better. Just remember to turn it off when playing blue-ray discs.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendukoo /forum/post/0

Gotcha.. How about the green screen/static flickerin

Not experienced that myself.I'd recommend giving Samsung a call if it persists.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Brendukoo,

Are you using HDMI? If so, the static/green screen you are seeing is due to HDCP and HDMI handshaking. While sometimes annoying, it is normal. It happens to me with my Panasonic plasma and Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver infrequently as well.

The PS3 looks great on plasma, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Daniel.. that's kind of what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. And yes, the PS3 look friggin amazing on my TV. I haven't tried it with Game Mode on quite yet as i just found out my TV had that last night.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Sammy S5053 as well. While I don't have a PS3 yet (i'm probably going to give in any day now), I know when my 360 switches to different resolutions the screen filckers. For example, when I am in the main menu on my XBOX at 720 resolution and I put in a normal DVD, the screen filckers a bit as it switches resolutions. Perhaps this is what you're seeing as well?

I've been somewhat hesitant to go with a PS3 on my plasma since it maxes out at 720p, but then again my 360 games and HD DVD movies still look incredible. Just have a feeling that I am missing something.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4597 /forum/post/0

The S5053 does support 1080i inputs but only displays it at a maximum 720p resolution.

do you have any proof on this? I heard that it will display 1080i sure its not 1920X1080 but what ever the max res of the TV like 1320X768 or whatever the max res is on the S5053.

The S5053 des have over 549 billion colors..... with its 13 bit color processing...

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer /forum/post/0

do you have any proof on this? I heard that it will display 1080i sure its not 1920X1080 but what ever the max res of the TV like 1320X768 or whatever the max res is on the S5053.

The S5053 des have over 549 billion colors..... with its 13 bit color processing...

You're right, it is 1320X768 per Samsung's spec sheet:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...5053_final.pdf

Mis-spoke when I said 'maximum 720p.' Still not 1080i.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.