AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/07/21/ps4-media-remote-pdp-officially-licensed-sony-costs-29-99-launches-october/#/slide/1

new remote is official. Available in Oct.

Details per the release
The officially licensed Universal Media Remote for PlayStation 4 gives you complete control of all PS4 media playback via Bluetooth. Easily control up to 4 devices – PS4, Set Top Box, TV, and Audio Receiver – and enjoy direct access to the PS4 Home and Power buttons without a controller. Enjoy a convenient and hassle-free way to navigate and control your PlayStation 4 system from your couch.

Features:

Complete Control via Bluetooth – The Universal Media Remote for PlayStation 4 gives you complete control of all PS4 media playback via Bluetooth.
Command up to 4 Devices – Easily control up to 4 devices with the Universal Media Remote. Take charge of your PS4, Set Top Box, TV, and Audio Receiver with a single remote.
Convenient & Hassle-Free Control – Enjoy a convenient and hassle-free way to navigate and control your PlayStation 4 system with ease.
Dedicated Buttons – The Universal Media Remote for PS4 offers direct access to PS4 home and power buttons without a controller.
Finally! Preordered it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hopefully Logitech will get the Bluetooth codes so that we can use our remotes with the Bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
PS vue just launched in my area and oh my is it great. They really need to get going with full harmony support so I don't have to get directive back for football season.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Hopefully Logitech will get the Bluetooth codes so that we can use our remotes with the Bluetooth adapter.
If you have a hub based Harmony you already can, the only issue is power on. My understanding at this point is that the power on button is something other than bluetooth, possibly RF on a frequency the Harmony can't handle.

If you do not have a hub based Harmony, it is never going to work because the Logitech PS3 adapter doesn't work, and the other Harmony remotes don't have BT.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you have a hub based Harmony you already can, the only issue is power on. My understanding at this point is that the power on button is something other than bluetooth, possibly RF on a frequency the Harmony can't handle.

If you do not have a hub based Harmony, it is never going to work because the Logitech PS3 adapter doesn't work, and the other Harmony remotes don't have BT.
Well I figure if they can get the codes then maybe they can make an adapter like they did with the PS3. The hub has both IR and Bluetooth, but my understanding was that no device worked in the same way that the controller does. So you can navigate the menu but the Netflix app won't work with remotes.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Netflix app works fine with a harmony (hub-based) remote. Blu-Ray playback, on the other hand . . . not so much.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
That's what most are talking about above, like in the post right before yours. The main thing is it will not power on the PS4. But as you see above, there are other issues also.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I read through this thread and see that the hub remotes function, but was just looking for feedback as to pros and cons. The biggest difference is clearly the screen vs. no screen. I'll just gather any extra information in other reviews.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
The screen thing may or may not be a big deal to you. I use mine for all sorts of functions, so I want the screen on mine. The problem with the PS4 is it just does not work right. That's OK with me, I do not use my PS4 for anything other than gaming. I have several other devices for watching TV and movies (HTPC, Roku, AFTV, NVidia Shield, PS3)

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I read through this thread and see that the hub remotes function, but was just looking for feedback as to pros and cons. The biggest difference is clearly the screen vs. no screen. I'll just gather any extra information in other reviews.
I have the one without the screen and though it works (other than Power On) I've gone back to my screen-based Harmony which doesn't work with the hub. I don't like the layout of the one with the screen, it was more expensive, and still can't turn the blasted PS4 on.

They have come out with a new, more expensive screen-based remote. I like the layout of it. But it still can't turn on the PS4. I know it's not Harmony's fault, but still...sigh.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I ended up buying both. The Touch is available at Best Buy for $100 and I bought a refurbished Smart Controller with Hub for $60 on eBay. I'd like to be able to turn on the PS4, but it is in close proximity to me so not a deal killer. I'm looking forward to trying them out, as I've been using the 700 model for many years.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
It occurs to me that someone with the engineering prowess and time/inclination (and money) ought to be able to make a remote that turns it on. Sony allows 3rd party game controllers, yes? They have a PS button which turns the PS4 on via bluetooth, yes? So, voila. Pay for a license to make a game controller, but put it in a case that's shaped like a remote, with buttons to match.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It occurs to me that someone with the engineering prowess and time/inclination (and money) ought to be able to make a remote that turns it on. Sony allows 3rd party game controllers, yes? They have a PS button which turns the PS4 on via bluetooth, yes? So, voila. Pay for a license to make a game controller, but put it in a case that's shaped like a remote, with buttons to match.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJRHSZO?keywords=ps4 remote&qid=1444278549&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This is coming soon. No idea if it will open the door for harmony compatibility though.

I just picked up a Harmony Home Control white remote + hub last week. Found it on clearance at BB for $100. I love it. The phone app is also pretty sweet. It is so much more responsive than the 5+ year old 700 series it replaced.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJRHSZO?keywords=ps4 remote&qid=1444278549&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This is coming soon. No idea if it will open the door for harmony compatibility though.

They stole my idea :D

I don't think this will change the situation for Harmony folks, but it does seem to be a learning/programmable remote so you could theoretically replace (or augment) a Harmony with this if your system wasn't too complex.

EDIT: well I ordered one. Says Oct 27. I'll report back.

Reactions: curtlots

·
Registered
875 Posts
They stole my idea :D

I don't think this will change the situation for Harmony folks, but it does seem to be a learning/programmable remote so you could theoretically replace (or augment) a Harmony with this if your system wasn't too complex.

EDIT: well I ordered one. Says Oct 27. I'll report back.
That was my thought as well. Hopefully it works.

Let us know and keep us updated!

201 - 220 of 290 Posts