AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23954790

If I were you, just my opinion, instead of going to the Touch, which is IR, I would go to the Bluetooth, RF remotes. I upgraded to the Smart, from the One, and have never regretted. No more pointing and waiting for everything to start.

I really don't want to use my phone. I don't know that the ultimate is in my price range. So I may just be waiting till this PS4 thing is resolved and any potentially new BT/RF controllers or hubs. From what I read the Touch kind of sounds like a POS when it comes to button positioning.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tried it yesterday since the PSN was down and I could not do $%^&, anyhow it recognizes it as a BD remote but does not respond to any commands... as someone indicated above it would not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking through the PS4 settings and I saw a enable HDMI Link (I believe that's what it's called) option on there. If I'm not mistaken that's supposed to allow you to use your tv remote in order to control the PS4? Maybe there's a workaround with that?

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgnthru  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23956699

I was looking through the PS4 settings and I saw a enable HDMI Link (I believe that's what it's called) option on there. If I'm not mistaken that's supposed to allow you to use your tv remote in order to control the PS4? Maybe there's a workaround with that?

My guess is that that's Sony's name for hdmi-cec which is supposed to be a universal protocol for interoperability between devices. In practice it's usually a **** show and never works the way it should, at least in my experience. I always go back to my Harmony and turn all the cec stuff off in all my devices.

Hopefully Logitech gets a BT remote adapter out for the ps4 ASAP.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have HDMI-CEC working with my harmony (added a vizio tv and just said to leave it on all the time) but my vizio tv will not wake the ps4 from sleep when switching to its input.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Any word on off the Ultimate Remote with the Hub will work in eventually controlling the PS4?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgnthru  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23956699

this kind of works. when my tv and amp are already on, eg if I am watching tv, and I turn on the ps4, the amp automatically switches the input to the ps4. if I turn the ps4 on while the system is off, the amp does something but does not turn fully on. however switching to the ps 4 input using the harmony will not wake the ps4. connecting to my playstation app on my smart phone also wakes the ps4 and changes the inputs if on....

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23959906

Any word on off the Ultimate Remote with the Hub will work in eventually controlling the PS4?

I hope they get support for the PS4 soon. I just bought the ultimate and would hate to think that it will not support future hardware.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I asked this question over on the Logitech forums and eventually got this official response from them:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Ultimate-Harmony-Smart/Important-Harmony-and-the-Sony-Playstation-4/td-p/1130759
Quote:
Sony Playstation 4 was launched in North America today. Unfortunately the official Sony BD Remote which operated with the Playstation 3 does not currently work on the Playstation 4 and therefore the Harmony Hub that ships with Harmony Ultimate and Harmony Smart Control are also not compatible.

We are as excited as you are about complete home control and will continue to look for other ways to control this game console. This may require a software update from Harmony in 2014, a software update from Sony to enable Bluetooth controllers, or possibly both.

Best regards,

The Harmony Team

Tip: If you have a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard, they will pair and can navigate the Sony Playstation 4 interface; however the Playstation cannot be woken up from standby mode using Bluetooth. You can add the device to your myharmony.com account and create a play game activity so you are able to still have a setup for the Sony Playstation 4.

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote/30#post_23964399

Logitech says the PS4 can't be waked via Bluetooth, how does the DS4 wake up the PS4 then?

Magic. Duh.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23963779

I asked this question over on the Logitech forums and eventually got this official response from them:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Ultimate-Harmony-Smart/Important-Harmony-and-the-Sony-Playstation-4/td-p/1130759
Quote:
Sony Playstation 4 was launched in North America today. Unfortunately the official Sony BD Remote which operated with the Playstation 3 does not currently work on the Playstation 4 and therefore the Harmony Hub that ships with Harmony Ultimate and Harmony Smart Control are also not compatible.

We are as excited as you are about complete home control and will continue to look for other ways to control this game console. This may require a software update from Harmony in 2014, a software update from Sony to enable Bluetooth controllers, or possibly both.

Best regards,

The Harmony Team

Tip: If you have a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard, they will pair and can navigate the Sony Playstation 4 interface; however the Playstation cannot be woken up from standby mode using Bluetooth. You can add the device to your myharmony.com account and create a play game activity so you are able to still have a setup for the Sony Playstation 4.

Thanks for sharing. Not the news I was looking for, but at least now I know. My Harmony 900 and PS3 adapter are still going strong! The wait continues to see if it'll ever control my PS4, or if a newer device will even come out to support it!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Seems the ps4 and the newer ps3 slims have cec control through tv IR remotes. If your tv remote has navigation and shuttle controlls it might work.

I can't test my ps3 fat as it does not include cec ability. I'm just now learning about this whole cec thang.

Edit. Further reading seems cec hdmi control is buggy and laggy and sometimes pause and play don't work. Bummer

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just use the PS4 as Games only and the PS3 as media. The PS3 is fully featured for media and games. The PS4 is only games, at the moment. I'm returning my PS4. There are no games I want to play and even if I play one the console is a paperweight for anything else.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote/30#post_23979520

Just use the PS4 as Games only and the PS3 as media. The PS3 is fully featured for media and games. The PS4 is only games, at the moment. I'm returning my PS4. There are no games I want to play and even if I play one the console is a paperweight for anything else.

Have you played Killzone 4? Battlefield 4? Resogun? Madden? NBA2k4? I think they're all a blast. KZ's graphics are jaw-dropping - I'm most pumped about that game right now. Heck, I even played/beat Knack with the wife, and we loved it (very underrated game IMHO). Returning it just sounds crazy. GameStop has 2.3 million on backorder, lol.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote#post_23945054

That's a pretty expensive pause button.

I honestly think the most use the camera will get is from people wanting to stream and dab in their own social media commentary, and eventually video calling. Sony really should make a move to get Skype and Google hangout up and running, once they get everything else settled.

The camera is awesome. Playroom is great if you have kids and the face recognition and voice commands aren't bad. My parents will never get a PS4, but we frequently did video chat sessions on the PS3 so they could see their grandkids. This version is a vast improvement from the PS3's.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44  /t/1499097/ps4-and-harmony-remote/30#post_23979520

Well, to each his own, but I imagine the PS4 will very soon be getting a lot of the functionality you're missing through patches. They've said as much already.

And I sure as hell wouldn't return it. With all of the backorders, I'd sell it in the used market. Make some money off of your apparent dissatisfaction.

21 - 40 of 290 Posts