AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've had my kids' PS4 since launch and it has been making a clicking/tweeting noise pretty much since the beginning. I always meant to call Sony about it while it was under warranty, but never got around to it, since it always worked fine. For reference, someone has posted a youtube video here:

Anyway, just a couple of days ago, one of my kids went to shut the system down, and it would not turn off. It stayed on that shutting down screen, so after a few minutes, I shut it down manually by holding the power button down. The next time they went to turn it on it wouldn't boot up. A message came up saying it was checking system storage status. It would only check up to about 23% or so and just sit there. I even left it there for few hours and that is where it stayed.

After multiple times of trying that, plus rebuilding the database, and all the other steps, recommended before an initialization. Nothing worked. Eventually I initialized the system and re-downloaded the system update from a USB and it appears to be working now, but of course I have to re-download everything and the kids lost their saves since the last backup, which was quite some time ago.

If it happens again, I will probably just by a replacement hard drive, because I am assuming the clicking is the hard drive. Has anyone else had this happen to their system? Should I just buy a new, larger hard drive now, or give it another go with this hard drive? Or, am I off base in thinking this is the hard drive at all, and just send this joker in to Sony even though the warranty is up?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well does it still click and tweet after up and running again?
That restore didn't last. The next time I booted the system up it wouldn't work again. To test whether it was the hard drive or not, I backed mine up and installed it in the kids'system.

It was stable like that for almost a week, so I just installed a new 2TB drive in their system and put my drive back in my system this morning.

I would recommend anyone whose hard drive is making that noise to back their saves up frequently or just replace the drive. Also, the new PS4 backup and restore function worked perfectly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the backup still take 2.5 - 3 hours like it does on the PS3?
It depends on how much you have on the hard drive. 200 GB took about 3 hours to back up, and a bit less to restore. For reference, that was with a USB 3.0 connection.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts