AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Normally this is used for 3d for receivers that don't support3d so one for 3d video direct to tv and one for audio to receiver



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I'd assume you are correct, as this was my hunch too, have you any sources?


Even though I don't have a 3DTV, I'd still be tempted to run HDMI straight to the TV for video and to my Denon AVR for audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Same theing the PS3 dual HDMI out does -- oh right -- feature disappeared before retail --
 
  • Like
Reactions: diceburna

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Maybe for receivers that don't support 4K?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Why would 4k and HD require separate HDMI outs? The PS4 decides on the output and the connector just transmits whatever is given to it. The new HDMI spec should be able to transmit 4k on down to 480i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
It would be videophiles that have receivers that cannot pass through video untouched or at 4k. I think it will get left off because if you upgrade to a 4k tv, you can probably afford a new receiver. Most receivers will be able to pass 4k before most people have 4k receivers. It just does not make much sense for a device that will be sold at a loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII  /t/1471222/ps4-dual-hdmi-output-is-used-for-what#post_23284293


Why would 4k and HD require separate HDMI outs? The PS4 decides on the output and the connector just transmits whatever is given to it. The new HDMI spec should be able to transmit 4k on down to 480i.

If you have a 4K tv (the only reason the PS4 would be outputting a signal in 4K) and you don't have a receiver with 4K pass-through, you could run the 4K video direct to the TV, and just the audio over the other HDMI to the receiver. Just like many 3D blu-ray players (oppo BDP-103 for example) do today. This removes one more barrier to buying a 4K TV, as if you just bought a really high end receiver in 2011, you wouldn't have to upgrade it. Sony frequently takes a long-term view of these things and is probably hoping that the ability of the PS4 to output both really high quality 3D, and some type of 4K content will entice people to buy some of their TV's, either 3D or 4K. The extra port would allow non-3D receivers to be bypassed as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Similar to what Mountain said maybe Sony is trying to get into the high end video world.


Oppo buyers tend to go with their players for the fact that it has 2 outputs, the best picture available to you is when it is directly from the player to the display, taking your AVR out of the path.


If Sony is hoping to go toe to toe with the big guys in the Blu-ray world, this is a good first step.


I know the PS3 was the yardstick blu-ray players were measured by for a good few years, maybe they want that title back.
 
  • Like
Reactions: moshock

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham  /t/1471222/ps4-dual-hdmi-output-is-used-for-what#post_23317393


So is the PS4 going to have dual HDMI?

I've seen no indication that it will....everything I've seen so far indicates a single HDMI out port.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff  /t/1471222/ps4-dual-hdmi-output-is-used-for-what#post_23329031


I am betting it becomes just one HDMI port like the PS3 prototype, but it would be cool if they allowed multiplayer with 2 screens on one playstation

That is what I was thinking. It would be so freaking cool if they could figure a way to allow you to hook up two displays for FPS games like COD. That way when you play locally (if you have the equipment) you could have you and your buddy on separate screens vs. getting the tiny (when not on a PJ) split screen garbage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134  /t/1471222/ps4-dual-hdmi-output-is-used-for-what#post_23339908


That is what I was thinking. It would be so freaking cool if they could figure a way to allow you to hook up two displays for FPS games like COD. That way when you play locally (if you have the equipment) you could have you and your buddy on separate screens vs. getting the tiny (when not on a PJ) split screen garbage.

On a 3D capable display, you could get two separate full screen images with the right glasses. They've dipped their toes in this kind of functionality with the PS3, I expect it'll be pretty standard with the PS4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42  /t/1471222/ps4-dual-hdmi-output-is-used-for-what#post_23317354


Oppo buyers tend to go with their players for the fact that it has 2 outputs, the best picture available to you is when it is directly from the player to the display, taking your AVR out of the path.


If Sony is hoping to go toe to toe with the big guys in the Blu-ray world, this is a good first step.

It does indeed look like Sony wants to enter the fray of high-end. What's interesting is the fact that this is completely possible. The Sony S790 is rated by at least one publication (Home Theater Magazine) to have video quality that matches Oppos BDP-103's capabilities. If Sony can replicate this level of performance in the PS4, and include dual HDMI outputs currently valued by videophiles and audiophiles (I run dual HDMI from my Oppo 105 for the signal path reason mentioned above), then the PS4 could be a real contender. Lab measurements consistently show receivers and pre\pros as having an effect on the video signal even with processing disengaged.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top