AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have setup our PS4 in our TV room so it can be used in conjunction with our 100 inch Hecto Laser projector and our Onkyo sound amp that is mainly used for blu-ray movies.

The PS4 is connected to the rear of my Oppo 103D and using the Darbee function and all I can say is I'm awed, I'm surprised how good it looks playing Need For Speed on the PS4.

My son know his games and has experience playing on all consoles but even he commented the sharpness, the colour and just about everything else that make this outstanding.

I have watched my Son playing different consoles on a 32 inch LED LCD but none of us or others in the household have ever seen a game console on a 100 inch tv.

I have watched my son play games on his wall mounted 32 inch tv for hours but what I noticed after watching him playing the PS4 on the 100 inch laser projector is that after 20 minutes of me watching the cars zooming around I started to feel slightly sick (motion Sickness) .

In the Hecto Laser projector's settings I was using the same setting whats normally used for watching blu-ray movies via my Oppo blu-ray player. The Hecto has a Games Option with its settings completely different for what I use in the Hecto for movie viewing (I use the Expert Setting for fine control for movies) I was just wondering you PS4 guys with larger than normal displays/projectors what are your preferred setting or what do you recommend to set or alter the existing Games setting which can be altered to possibly reduce this problem of being over whelmed by having so much movement on a 100 inch screen. Or is it a case that this Old Man is just not use to this.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
sit further back until you get used to it. Or if it has a zoom, un-zoom it, make it smaller.

Had the same issue when I first went PJ back in early 2000. Now with 110", I have no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
The Darbee may add processing lag, not sure, but you probably won't want it for fast games like shooters.

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
The Darbee add's less than 1 ms of lag so nothing that can be detected while playing.

Jason

Reactions: Daekwan

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I didn't know Darbee was that fast, I guess I just have a conditioned response that anytime I see post-processing I start thinking time delay.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Haha. I foresee this turning into a debate on how Darbee messes with the image. Inevitable.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I sit 16 feet back from my 120 inch screen -- i dont get motion sickness, but do have to scan -- from corner to corner to see all the action.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24468511

Haha. I foresee this turning into a debate on how Darbee messes with the image. Inevitable.

No the image is spot on with or without Darbee. I dragged a couple of young guys over yesterday (when I say young they were young compared to my age) These two young chaps (mid 20's) also were very surprised how well the PS4 preformed on such a large Screen. We all looked for motion blur, Jitter or Judder and anything else that's not right but according to the two of them any issues they spotted were only minor.. These guys play games a lot but have never played a game on a large screen and agreed that it can be slightly overwhelming because your not use to it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24468763

I sit 16 feet back from my 120 inch screen -- i dont get motion sickness, but do have to scan -- from corner to corner to see all the action.

Our seating position is 3.2M away (10 foot 6 inches) from the 100 inch screen. With these Hecto's it recommended to sit between 3,2 to 4 M away.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24466595

The Darbee may add processing lag, not sure, but you probably won't want it for fast games like shooters.
Need For Speed for me is a fast full on game. I expect 98% of the pixels doing something whilst playing it compared to playing a movie. Maybe because when you watch an action Movie only parts of it not 100% of it have fast motion movement but this game and I expect others,, well including the ones that haven't came out yet will be full on action 99% of the time.

·
Registered
16,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24468511

I have done calibrations with the Darbee off/on and there are no measurable variances, if spectro and colorimeter say so then certainly nothing the human eye can detect.

Jason

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I didn't mean it in a negative sense, I was just simply mentioning that there have been quite a few discussions both here and outside of AVS weighing in the pros/cons of the Darbee, and it's easy to foresee this turning into a similar discussion. I see the use for it but it's not for me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470410

I didn't mean it in a negative sense, I was just simply mentioning that there have been quite a few discussions both here and outside of AVS weighing in the pros/cons of the Darbee, and it's easy to foresee this turning into a similar discussion. I see the use for it but it's not for me.
We are slightly drifting from the Topic aren't we.

·
Registered
16,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470433

We are slightly drifting from the Topic aren't we.

Slightly OT, yes, but you did mention being in awe when using the built in Darbee so...

Playing games on very large screens is an adjustment, I have been doing so for 12+ years and I can still get some motion sickness now and then on my 133" (depends on the game).

Take frequent breaks initially and allow your eyes time to adjust.

Jason

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I used to game on a Panasonic AE900 projector. A had trouble playing first person shooters on it due to the screen size. Other games faired much better, but the 720p resolution of the projector coupled with the smooth screen tech made for an image that always appeared slightly out of focus.

One day I'll go for a 1080p or 4k projector. For now, I enjoy playing games on my 50 inch plasma from 5 feet haha.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470841

I used to game on a Panasonic AE900 projector. A had trouble playing first person shooters on it due to the screen size. Other games faired much better, but the 720p resolution of the projector coupled with the smooth screen tech made for an image that always appeared slightly out of focus.

One day I'll go for a 1080p or 4k projector. For now, I enjoy playing games on my 50 inch plasma from 5 feet haha.

Same here, xbox 360 on a projector worked for some games, but was a major disadvantage when playing shooters because of focus, black levels, detail. That's why I would play almost exclusively on a LCD.

Different story now with the PS4 on a 1080P projector - razor sharp and overall better experience IMHO.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Exactly. I'm sure gaming on a native 1080p PJ using a native 1080p source is a drastic difference. Still, you'd be hard pressed to beat a plasma or some LCDs in terms of contrast ratio. There's a trade-off to both projectors and displays, obviously, and it all boils down to what you're comfortable with and what you can afford and/or your space limitations. I still have to wonder if a lot of the folks saying resolution doesn't matter have displays that are 40 inches or below.

I think at the end of the day it comes to what you want from your display and what your expectations are.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470504

Slightly OT, yes, but you did mention being in awe when using the built in Darbee so...

Jason

I'll let you get away with that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470504

Playing games on very large screens is an adjustment, I have been doing so for 12+ years and I can still get some motion sickness now and then on my 133" (depends on the game).

Take frequent breaks initially and allow your eyes time to adjust.

Jason

I'm over 60, I have spent most of my electrical life working at heights, I have been on a few cruises on large ocean liners and never experienced any sort of motion sickness until now watching a game on a 100 inch screen.

Your right about the break, I took 10 minutes in the kitchen and felt 100% better 5 minutes later.

It was the Need For Speed that was causing my problem as when my son played "Knack" (I think that was the name of the game) I was fine. My son said to me that its us old farts that just aren't good enough.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1521938/ps4-on-projector-wow#post_24470841

Well if you younger guys have the same problem it make me feel a lot better. As for the game Need for Speed on the Laser Projector it was reasonably SHARP not as good as some CGI movies but generally it was very good and with very few instances of the three dreaded diseases on most displays/projectors being jitter/judder and Motion blur.

I can just imagine in years to come whenever 4K is up and running and we all purchase 4K displays or projector larger than 100 inch, we have PS5 with 4K (no doubt it will happen on 5 or 6) and games to suit .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts