AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My setup alongside the PS4 is a Panasonic PZ-85U plasma, Pioneer 1018 receiver, 5.1 speakers. All devices are going through the HDMI on the receiver, and the receiver out to the TV. I currently use the PS4 for games, Blu-Ray, Netflix, Amazon, etc. The TV display settings are set with some guidance from calibrators over on the plasma TV area.

So while these settings are great for movies, once in a while I switch TV modes for games, and they definitely have more "pop." My issue with the TV is that there is no discrete code to switch TV display modes, nor can I reliably setup a macro with a Harmony. However, it does let you have different display modes dedicated to the various HDMI inputs.

I'm considering dedicating the PS4 for games, and using separate Blu-Ray player for the movies/streaming/etc. Not only would this let me dedicate a gaming mode for the PS4, but I could then use my Harmony remote for watching movies on the BD player.

Now the downside is that I'll have to split the audio/video - with the HDMI to the TV, and optical to the receiver. So a couple of questions on this:

1. Are there any games that have a DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, which IIRC exceeds the bandwidth of an optical connection?
2. Some quick googling showed some issues with the PS4 audio over optical (getting 2.0 instead of 5.1), though I'm not sure if it was early firmware issues, user error, etc. Wondering if I'll have any problems..

Thanks!

Archerkit

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hi all,

My setup alongside the PS4 is a Panasonic PZ-85U plasma, Pioneer 1018 receiver, 5.1 speakers. All devices are going through the HDMI on the receiver, and the receiver out to the TV. I currently use the PS4 for games, Blu-Ray, Netflix, Amazon, etc. The TV display settings are set with some guidance from calibrators over on the plasma TV area.

So while these settings are great for movies, once in a while I switch TV modes for games, and they definitely have more "pop." My issue with the TV is that there is no discrete code to switch TV display modes, nor can I reliably setup a macro with a Harmony. However, it does let you have different display modes dedicated to the various HDMI inputs.

I'm considering dedicating the PS4 for games, and using separate Blu-Ray player for the movies/streaming/etc. Not only would this let me dedicate a gaming mode for the PS4, but I could then use my Harmony remote for watching movies on the BD player.

Now the downside is that I'll have to split the audio/video - with the HDMI to the TV, and optical to the receiver. So a couple of questions on this:

1. Are there any games that have a DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, which IIRC exceeds the bandwidth of an optical connection?
2. Some quick googling showed some issues with the PS4 audio over optical (getting 2.0 instead of 5.1), though I'm not sure if it was early firmware issues, user error, etc. Wondering if I'll have any problems..

Thanks!

Archerkit
to my knowledge none of the current games have a track beyond dolby, so optical should be find. Pretty sure everything the PS4 puts out that isnt blu ray movie is linear pcm. as for #2 I dont think I've encountered this either. Some games dont fully leverage the 5.1 setup a lot of us have with audio only coming from 2/2.1, though the titles I've played recently are taking full 5.1 advantage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Games like The Last of Us: Remastered support LPCM 7.1.

If you are set up via HDMI, then there's no need to encode the audio signal and so you remove that unnecessary step as well as the subsequent step of decoding the audio signal (which also adds compression and decompression to the audio signal). It's only possible to get 7.1 LPCM surround for games using HDMI, but if you only have a 5.1 system then the extra 2 channels isn't a consideration, but the sound quality still may be one.

I would recommend HDMI simply because you get the best sound that way. The difference may not be a major issue for you, though, so it's ultimately up to your discretion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts