AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new TV and with it came a free 3D blu-ray player. I didn't think much of it, I was just going to set it up in my home office as it has WiFi and Netflix and use it for that. Out of curiosity I decided to check out reviews, figuring it was a cheapo model. Well looking at Consumer Reports I see it's actually their top rated blu-ray player! Interesting.....(Not that they are the end-all of review sites or anything).

So my question is which would be better for blu-rays and 3D Blurays, the PS4 or standalone? I've only ever used my PS4 for blu-rays since I got it (launch day), and only used my PS3 before that (also got it on launch day) with no problems or issues with image quality.....that I'm aware of (and I'm pretty picky). But I've never really bothered to try any standalone players before. I tried to Google some comparisons of standalones that include the PS4 but I wasn't having much luck.

Just curious, thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
So I just bought a new TV and with it came a free 3D blu-ray player. I didn't think much of it, I was just going to set it up in my home office as it has WiFi and Netflix and use it for that. Out of curiosity I decided to check out reviews, figuring it was a cheapo model. Well looking at Consumer Reports I see it's actually their top rated blu-ray player! Interesting.....(Not that they are the end-all of review sites or anything).

So my question is which would be better for blu-rays and 3D Blurays, the PS4 or standalone? I've only ever used my PS4 for blu-rays since I got it (launch day), and only used my PS3 before that (also got it on launch day) with no problems or issues with image quality.....that I'm aware of (and I'm pretty picky). But I've never really bothered to try any standalone players before. I tried to Google some comparisons of standalones that include the PS4 but I wasn't having much luck.

Just curious, thanks!
which standalone did you get?
personally, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely use the standalone and leave the ps4 for gaming, unless the ps4 is far superior in quality, which by the sounds of it, it isnt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
which standalone did you get?
personally, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely use the standalone and leave the ps4 for gaming, unless the ps4 is far superior in quality, which by the sounds of it, it isnt.
It's a Samsung H5900 3D Bluray Player

Yeah I dunno if the PS4 is superior or not, it's all I've ever used which I haven't had any complaints with. You'd think it would have an edge given it has horsepower to spare compared to standalone players, but I have no idea how that power is actually used, if at all.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a Samsung H5900 3D Bluray Player

Yeah I dunno if the PS4 is superior or not, it's all I've ever used which I haven't had any complaints with. You'd think it would have an edge given it has horsepower to spare compared to standalone players, but I have no idea how that power is actually used, if at all.
yeah thats a good player, i would stick with the Samsung for movies, again, its my personal approach.
currently, I only have the ps3 and ps4 and no standalone so I use the ps3 until I eventually upgrade my oppo dvd player to a blu ray one.

Edit: Here is my question though, what would you do with the Samsung if you were to use your PS4?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It will really come down to preference. I have a player and Xbox One hooked up to my only 3D TV upstairs. The player was the only way I could play 3D for a while. I received a PS4 for Christmas, and hooked it up as well. I have used it as a Blu-ray player, and it does as good a job as my Sony player, and the 3D is just as good. I don't like having to use the remote and controller. I inevitably grab the remote to try and pause, skip back, etc., instead of the controller. The Blu-ray player in my bedroom is getting flaky, so I am thinking of replacing it with the one upstairs and going PS4 or Xbox for blu-ray/3D playback. The player works the best of all three with a remote, the xbox will work with the remote, but it is easier to control with the controller, and the PS4 uses the controller only. So it really comes down to my preference. I guess if I don't want to buy a new player, I will have to get more comfortable using the controller and remote. I guess I got spoiled with the player.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
By remote, I meant my harmony remote. The xbox one does not work very well with the harmony in my opinion.
I got a 900 and have no complaints...being that I use the RF option for some devices it is pretty laggy to begin with so maybe I am just used to it.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I don't see any reason to use the PS4 as a blu-ray player if you also have a PS3 or standalone hooked up. The short battery life alone on the PS4 controller is enough reason for me to use something else. I'm still using my PS3 with the proprietary bluetooth remote. When I first got my PS4, I did a quick comparison of the video/audio quality for blu-ray and Netflix and found no significant differences in my set up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Edit: Here is my question though, what would you do with the Samsung if you were to use your PS4?
As I mentioned it's wifi and has Netflix, so I would use it in another room as a streaming device for a smaller tv that is next to my PC.

I don't see any reason to use the PS4 as a blu-ray player if you also have a PS3 or standalone hooked up. The short battery life alone on the PS4 controller is enough reason for me to use something else. I'm still using my PS3 with the proprietary bluetooth remote. When I first got my PS4, I did a quick comparison of the video/audio quality for blu-ray and Netflix and found no significant differences in my set up.
I don't have a PS3 anymore, and this free standalone is the first one that I've ever had (and still in the box atm). PS4 controller last 6-8hrs, plenty of time for me to watch a movie. I'm just curious if it's worth hooking up another device, as I'd rather have as few as possible. I currently have a PS4, XBox One, WiiU, and Apple TV (mainly just for HBO Now) so they each have their own unique function with some redundancy, but if there is no benefit to a standalone in terms of viewing experience then I don't see any reason to clutter up my TV stand with one.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
there's no reason to have a standalone if A/V quality is your main concern. The quality will be the same. Standalones are good for the extra features, remote compatibility and for premium standalones like the Oppo, their ability to play a large variety of media types.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I still do not understand WHY Sony cannot allow the use of that Bluetooth Remote that was for the PS3, on the PS4. That remote worked great with Blu-Ray's, but also, Netflix/Hulu Plus/MLB.TV/etc...

Where the hell is the remote for the PS4 Sony?! I am actually thinking on selling my PS4 because I was going to use it for Blu-Ray's. But without the remote it is a PIA to use the controller.

And after having used BOTH the PS3 and PS4, I would say the PS4 apps DO WORK BETTER/FASTER than the PS3 versions. The quality is the same, but the speed of the apps is superior on the PS4.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a 900 and have no complaints...being that I use the RF option for some devices it is pretty laggy to begin with so maybe I am just used to it.
I am using and older 880, and some of the button mapping is off. Also, there is considerable lag, or the command is not accepted. I have not really spent time messing with it since I usually just use the stand alone player. If I move it to. another TV, then I will have to work on the remote setup.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
I don't have any issues with using the controller. I'm so used to it from the PS2 days controlling my DVDs that way, that moving to PS3 and now PS4, its normal for me.

·
UHD Addict
38,967 Posts
there's no reason to have a standalone if A/V quality is your main concern. The quality will be the same. Standalones are good for the extra features, remote compatibility and for premium standalones like the Oppo, their ability to play a large variety of media types.
And stand alone players use much, much less power and are also quieter. That is one thing I never really liked about the PS4 BD drive. Everyone I've heard has been very noisy when compared to my Sony stand alone BD players. Although the PS4 will decode all of the Advanced audio codecs and output them all as multi-channel PCM.(unlike the Sony BD players) For a receiver that can't decode them.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
And stand alone players use much, much less power and are also quieter. That is one thing I never really liked about the PS4 BD drive. Everyone I've heard has been very noisy when compared to my Sony stand alone BD players. Although the PS4 will decode all of the Advanced audio codecs and output them all as multi-channel PCM.(unlike the Sony BD players) For a receiver that can't decode them.
Actually, I'm so used to the noisy PS3 that the PS4 is absolutely quiet by comparison. Its probably noisy compared to a stand alone BD player but for what I'm used to, it's pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I also prefer a standalone for better controll over my ps4. The light strip annoys me when tryin to watch movies at nite.

Plus my br player has DLNA, which the ps4 doesnt!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
yeah thats a good player, i would stick with the Samsung for movies, again, its my personal approach.
currently, I only have the ps3 and ps4 and no standalone so I use the ps3 until I eventually upgrade my oppo dvd player to a blu ray one.

I have been using my PS3 for games, and some Bluray movies up until recently when I got the Oppo 103...all I can say is the picture looks better than it ever did on the PS3. I am assuming that the chips are better than the old PS3 has.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts