AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in another thread in the home theater forums that the PS5 will not support Dolby Atmos. I didn't want to hijack the thread since it was not about the PS5. I plan on using the PS5 as my 4K blu ray player with a 7.1.4 HT setup. Is the lack of Dolby Atmos support only for games or will I not be able to get Atmos from 4K blu rays for movies? I did some searching and saw mixed answers about using PCM, Bitstream or allowing the receiver to decode Atmos but didn't really understand what was being said. I will be using a receiver that can decode Atmos(Denon X3600H).

·
Registered
726 Posts
I saw in another thread in the home theater forums that the PS5 will not support Dolby Atmos. I didn't want to hijack the thread since it was not about the PS5. I plan on using the PS5 as my 4K blu ray player with a 7.1.4 HT setup. Is the lack of Dolby Atmos support only for games or will I not be able to get Atmos from 4K blu rays for movies? I did some searching and saw mixed answers about using PCM, Bitstream or allowing the receiver to decode Atmos but didn't really understand what was being said. I will be using a receiver that can decode Atmos(Denon X3600H).
PS5 still supports 3D audio with the Tempest engine. You just probably won't see Atmos on your AVR's LED, but your height channels should be engaged.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS5 still supports 3D audio with the Tempest engine. You just probably won't see Atmos on your AVR's LED, but your height channels should be engaged.

So do I need to set the output to anything specific like PCM, Bitstream... Or will it just work automatically.

·
Registered
726 Posts

So do I need to set the output to anything specific like PCM, Bitstream... Or will it just work automatically.
You'll have to wait until PS5 launches and see the audio options on the system.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't believe that. Mark Cerny was clear that special channel configurations had to be created for discreet audio systems. They designed the spatial audio for their proprietary headphones and plan to have 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround modes available at launch. They will evaluate the "need" to create additional channel outputs at a later date. There will likely NEVER be an Atmos or DTS logo appearing on any AVR coming from a PS5 game. It's not looking good for 9 or 11 channel Atmos gamers.

The Xbox Series X on the other hand will be taking care of it's customers audio needs way better. I'm still on the fence whether or not I want the PS5 because of them insisting on forcing their proprietary headphone audio and many games will still be limited to 30fps. It could be a disastrous launch for them in the eyes of home theater gamers.

This tedious video explains that if I remember correctly. Perhaps I didn't understand and am completely wrong.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
3D audio is 3D audio, Atmos is just a brand. The technical aspects of Tempest and the way it's integrated with the graphics engine seems more advanced and seamlessly integrated with the developer tools. For example, the engine can render the type of sounds and how they reflect off different surfaces and textures.

Either way, let's wait and see until it releases. Seems kind of dumb to write it off 6 months before release. It will likely still play Atmos via bitstream for MOVIES (just not games).

Personally the PS5 is looking so much more promising than Xbox. I'll still get both, but the exclusives are in a different league for Sony.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern is movies as I would like to also use the PS5 as my 4k blu ray player for movies. I'd rather not have to buy a 4k blu ray player as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My only concern is movies as I would like to also use the PS5 as my 4k blu ray player for movies. I'd rather not have to buy a 4k blu ray player as well.
You should be able to bitstream movies for your AVR to decode Atmos. That's the way it's always been since the slim PS3 and I don't see it changing.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
3D audio is 3D audio, Atmos is just a brand. The technical aspects of Tempest and the way it's integrated with the graphics engine seems more advanced and seamlessly integrated with the developer tools. For example, the engine can render the type of sounds and how they reflect off different surfaces and textures.
The problem with that is HDMI interface does not offer you anyway to pass height channel information to the AVR other than the Dolby MAT 2.0 used by Dolby Atmos. So, it is not possible for 3rd party AVR to pick up PS5 3D audio.

As for OP's concern, as long as PS5 can bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD, you will get Atmos/DTS:X just fine. The main issue here is game audio which don't get re-compressed on the fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts