AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hoping someone with more expertise can assist me here ...

I have the Optoma UHD60 4K projector, which I use downstairs in my finished basement on a 120" screen. I know it does 4K, as it looks great when watching Apple 4K TV, movies or Netflix etc.

However, when I connected my PS5, it says I am in 1080P at 60Hz, and that the device does not support 4K, or HDR. I am connected through an HDMI 2.0 4K @ 60Hz switch. Basically projector in, then HDMI to cable box, Apple 4K TV and PS4, and now PS5. I used to HDMI cable the PS5 came with, and also the HDMI cable I already had in that particular input for the PS4. Neither would get me the option to be in 4K.

Just to make sure it was not a PS5 issue, I connected it upstairs in the living room on my LG OLED 65" and it immediately went to 4K (2160P), though I did have to enable HDR and change the 4K transfer rate to -2 to stop screen flickering. But, it works, and looks beautiful.

I am using this HDMI Switch HDMI SWITCH and this is the projector UHD60

Anyone have any ideas? I know the LG OLED will always look better than a projector, but it is not practical for me to always play in the living room, plus having the 120" screen is nice along with the surround sound, etc.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did you try taking the switch out of the equation and connect the PS5 direct to the projector? You have to troubleshoot where the weak point is. Did you try all the cables direct from the Apple TV to the projector? Since you know the atv shows 4k. Try all the cables direct from it to the projector.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The projector is too far away from the PS5 to be able to do that feasibly. I did not try using the HDMI plugged in to the Apple 4K TV and plugging that in to the PS5, so I can try that once I am back home after work.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The projector is too far away from the PS5 to be able to do that feasibly. I did not try using the HDMI plugged in to the Apple 4K TV and plugging that in to the PS5, so I can try that once I am back home after work.
You can't temporarily move the PS5 to test it direct to the pj?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't temporarily move the PS5 to test it direct to the pj?

The projector is mounted on the ceiling, so it would be tough, though I guess I could get an extension cord so I can plug the PS5 in and just try to direct plug the HDMI in to the HDMI-2 port on the projector.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The PS5 is HDMI 2.1 right? It was just released, so it would not shock me to hear there are connection issues, probable will need a firmware patch as this is always the case with new systems at time of release, and also the fact it is 2.1 going into 2.0, just a guess though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The PS5 is HDMI 2.1 right? It was just released, so it would not shock me to hear there are connection issues, probable will need a firmware patch as this is always the case with new systems at time of release, and also the fact it is 2.1 going into 2.0, just a guess though.
I am not sure if it is 2.1 or not honestly

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yes the PS5 is HDMI 2.1, the faster the chips get the flakier they get or should I say less tolerant of the rest of the HDMI chain. Suspect a weak link in the HDMI chain so eliminate switch and cable one at a time. Just because it works on the TV doesn't help much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the PS5 is HDMI 2.1, the faster the chips get the flakier they get or should I say less tolerant of the rest of the HDMI chain. Suspect a weak link in the HDMI chain so eliminate switch and cable one at a time. Just because it works on the TV doesn't help much.
Thanks. Will try that tonight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I’m at a loss. Everything works in 4K through the switch except the ps5. The ps5 works in 4k when plugged directly into the projector. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
So I’m at a loss. Everything works in 4K through the switch except the ps5. The ps5 works in 4k when plugged directly into the projector. Thoughts?
Get a better cable and/or switch.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Did you use a short cable when connecting the projector directly? If so use that cable with the switch and test again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you use a short cable when connecting the projector directly? If so use that cable with the switch and test again.
Used the PS5 cable. Worked on the projector. Did not work in any of the 3 ports on the switch.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Used the PS5 cable. Worked on the projector. Did not work in any of the 3 ports on the switch.
So you used short cables in and out of the switch? You may have to setup the switch so that thePS5 / UHD60 port is the default selection, as auto source switching may confuse the PS5 - but it could just be a switch that doesn't truly support 18gbps HDMI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you used short cables in and out of the switch? You may have to setup the switch so that thePS5 / UHD60 port is the default selection, as auto source switching may confuse the PS5 - but it could just be a switch that doesn't truly support 18gbps HDMI.
I used both the PS5 cable and the pre existing cables. Neither worked for 4K.
I’m not sure what the second part means. No matter what port I plug the PS5 in, as soon as it turns on it’s auto switched to the primary source.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I used both the PS5 cable and the pre existing cables. Neither worked for 4K.
I’m not sure what the second part means. No matter what port I plug the PS5 in, as soon as it turns on it’s auto switched to the primary source.
IIRC you can use the EDID option to dedicate a port to the projector.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IIRC you can use the EDID option to dedicate a port to the projector.
That didn’t work either. Even tried using a faster cable between ps5 and switch and nothing. Thinking maybe the issue is the projector goes out from hdmi 2 into the ceiling. Connects with a 10’ plus long cable which connects to the back of the switch through the wall?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
That didn’t work either. Even tried using a faster cable between ps5 and switch and nothing. Thinking maybe the issue is the projector goes out from hdmi 2 into the ceiling. Connects with a 10’ plus long cable which connects to the back of the switch through the wall?
Yeah, that in-ceiling cable could be an issue. But a better switch is should be investigated.

For now you can dedicate HDMI2 to the PS5 and send it's audio via a separate feed to your amp, and use the switch for HDMI1 for non HDR input to the projector.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, that in-ceiling cable could be an issue. But a better switch is should be investigated.

For now you can dedicate HDMI2 to the PS5 and send it's audio via a separate feed to your amp, and use the switch for HDMI1 for non HDR input to the projector.
So I can’t swap that cable myself as I don’t have the tools to snake through the wall. If I had someone replace what would it be with? A 2.1?
Any recommendations on a better switch?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts