AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
So I can’t swap that cable myself as I don’t have the tools to snake through the wall. If I had someone replace what would it be with? A 2.1?
Any recommendations on a better switch?
I can't really help with the cable and switch because the PS5 might be more temperamental about it than my current gear. I use one of these with my UHD50 for 4K/60hz 4:2:0 10bit HDR or 60hz 8bit 4:4:4 HDR:

If it works you could use one port for HDMI1 and your existing cable and the other for HDMI2 for a new cable, but there are probably higher spec switches available.

I guess 48gbps cable might be the way to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I tried 48gbps cable from the switch to ps5 and also from projector to the long cable with no luck. Unless you mean run a long 48gbps cable?
Just odd to me that everything else works fine and does 4K with zero issues and the ps5 will not.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I tried 48gbps cable from the switch to ps5 and also from projector to the long cable with no luck. Unless you mean run a long 48gbps cable?
Just odd to me that everything else works fine and does 4K with zero issues and the ps5 will not.
I think you'll have to run a new long 48gbps cable to the projector's HDMI2 and use the old cable for HDMI1 (non HDR). Optical 18gbps HDMI cable might work, but remember these are uni-directional.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Suggestions on a better one? I don’t know anything about them honestly.
I think it's an hdmi 2.1 thing. All the current switches are 2.0. You might have to do the long cable from the console to the projector, then do hdmi from the Arc input on the projector to the receiver.

At least until 2.1 switches hit. You would think the PS5 would just output the highest spec hdmi 2.0 would allow if that's what it was recognizing. I wouldn't expect it to default all the way back to 1080.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think it's an hdmi 2.1 thing. All the current switches are 2.0. You might have to do the long cable from the console to the projector, then do hdmi from the Arc input on the projector to the receiver.

At least until 2.1 switches hit. You would think the PS5 would just output the highest spec hdmi 2.0 would allow if that's what it was recognizing. I wouldn't expect it to default all the way back to 1080.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
So I should try the long 2.1 HDMI cable?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If anyone knows of an HDMI switch that definitely works with the PS5 - and can confirm this through personal use - please share the info.

Many of us, much like the OP, are in need of a switch that the PS5 will cooperate with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, the guy who did my original cable runs is suggesting I swap all the HDMI cables with fiber optic HDMI cables - does this make sense?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, but test your setup with the cables run externally first.
Would it make sense to try and just replace the long cable (50' maybe?) with a fiber optic cable? Or am I better off just replacing all at once?

Also, the projector HDMI out goes into a panel on the ceiling - inside the ceiling is some kind of connector HDMI cable that then connects the HDMI in to the ceiling with the actual long run cable - does anyone know what this cable is called? Is it just a female to female HDMI?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Would it make sense to try and just replace the long cable (50' maybe?) with a fiber optic cable? Or am I better off just replacing all at once?

Also, the projector HDMI out goes into a panel on the ceiling - inside the ceiling is some kind of connector HDMI cable that then connects the HDMI in to the ceiling with the actual long run cable - does anyone know what this cable is called? Is it just a female to female HDMI?
Anytime a cable has multiple connectors it also had multiple points of failure. Your cable guy should know what's in the ceiling. I would suggest not running cable through the ceiling, but instead along the walls and then covering them with trim. This will allow for easy access in the future.

I guess you could try the 50ft fibre optic cable and see if it works.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So, the guy who did my original cable runs is suggesting I swap all the HDMI cables with fiber optic HDMI cables - does this make sense?
Maybe I missed it but can you confirm you are using the HDMI #2 input on the projector to connect to the PS5?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, using the HDMI 2 on the projector, which then goes through the ceiling/wall and into the switch. Everything but the PS5 works just fine in 4k.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts