AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an FYI to those desiring a really, really big screen but thinking they can't afford a quality projector with enough calibrated lumens for a huge screen - check out the W7500. I just picked one up used for about $1,500 to test it out and it is shooting onto my 13.5 foot wide 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen with a gain of 1 (or realistically maybe 0.8).

I've poo pooed Benq before because I was not at all impressed with the W1070 - but the W7500 is a big step up. The image is really great and the blacks are good.

I own currently a couple reference grade .95" DLP's - the Marantz VP11S2 (.95" Dark Chip 4) and the Samsung SP-A800B (Dark Chip 2 0.95") - so it isn't like I haven't seen some of the best images to compare. This Benq is not the equal of those projectors but it is darn close for a whole lot less money. And those projectors won't adequately light up a really big screen.

Honestly, I can't think of another projector with this much bang for the buck in terms of calibrated light output while retaining good blacks. I would not recommend it for smaller screens (it's just way too bright), but if you have been tempted by the cheap-but-gigantic Elite screens on Amazon, and you need a light canon to drive them while still staying on a budget - I say go for it.

A year ago there were no projectors under $3K that could do over 1500 calibrated lumens and still give you good blacks (at least not that I've ever heard of). The W7000 had the Dark Chip 2 while the W7500 has Dark Chip 3, and the increase in contrast really makes a difference.

No it does not have motorized zoom or lens memory - that is a problem if you want a 2.35:1 screen. But you can solve that with a good used a-lens (it has built in) and still be at $2,500 if you seek out a refurb or used W7500.

I'm not trying to sell it as the be-all-end-all. If you have a smaller screen I'd definitely recommend a JVC D-ILA or a Sony SXRD for the amazing low APL capabilities - but for a quality image with still-good blacks on a huge screen - give this Benq a shot.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
BenW W7000/7500 still holds the title of a "Light Cannon" in the under $3,000 projector department. Surely one of the brightest in its class. What keeps it from being universal for me is rather large input lag (for me) and DLP Link synchronization. If it had at least IR and

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
I owned the W7000 and had a W7500 here last year, I didn't think it was a noticeable upgrade. It is bright though. The major downfall for me is the DLP Link. For some reason, BenQ refuses to add the 3 pin VESA port for an IR/RF setup. The DLP link hurts the contrast in 3D which is already suffering by the nature of the DLP.

it does have a positive benefit missing in most DLP's in this price range - full lens shift. so it's HP friendly and easier to mount than projectors like the 1070.

If someone is looking for a very bright projector and can get it cheap, go for it. Just don't expect great low APL performance.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again you guys, read what I wrote - if you have a really big screen I think it's a good option. The BEST option? No, which is why I have a Sony 1000ES en route. Blacks as good as my JVC X500 was? No.

But a good affordable option with good blacks for a huge screen? Yes definitely.

Reactions: Anthony Cler

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think DLP's do great in the 1000 and less market and the high end market, but they really lack in the 1800-3000 market. Calibrated lumen output seems similar to a Sony 40es, but worse blacks.

Just my opinion, I'd go Sony 40 (and I did). I really wish there were some advancements in DLP tech as it is an awesome technology and I find it odd they're the top projector in low and high end markets, but not mid.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it similar to 40ES? If so yes I'd take a 40ES for $2K over the W7500 for $1.5K. However I thought the Benq calibrated to 1700 lumens while the 40ES hits 1400.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned the W7000 and had a W7500 here last year, I didn't think it was a noticeable upgrade. It is bright though.
Interesting - it definitely looks better than my SP-A800B (Dark Chip 2) in terms of blacks. Maybe it has a more effective iris, I dunno. The Samsung however has, I think, better shadow detail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts