AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!!:)

I am in a sea of doubts regarding the choice of a sub. Summarizing:

My room is around 1350 cubic feet, I do have an SVS PB2000 and I´d like to improve the bass mainly for movies. With the PB2000 I notice some lack on the mid/ upper side.

Well, I have the opportunity to get:

- PSA S1510 $1100
- PSA V1811 $1600

I can get the Arendal Sub3 for about $1900, but people say better go with the PSA.

What would be your advise and choice?

Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
combining a sealed sub with a ported sub might be more difficult than combining two ported subs.

How much extension and physical space do you have? If you are looking at $1900 and have space, the TV1812 would be the best choice by far but it is BIG. You probably wouldn't even need your PB2000 anymore and you could sell it to help close the gap with the TV1812.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Badtlc!!:)

My intention is replacing the PB2000 with other better sub and sell it. Although, meanwhile I am selling it, I can try to run them both.

My room is about 14 x 11 x 8,5 ceiling.

·
Registered
356 Posts
combining a sealed sub with a ported sub might be more difficult than combining two ported subs.

How much extension and physical space do you have? If you are looking at $1900 and have space, the TV1812 would be the best choice by far but it is BIG. You probably wouldn't even need your PB2000 anymore and you could sell it to help close the gap with the TV1812.

Agree. If funds allow the TV1812 will dig deeper and improve the weight of the bass.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I'm guessing he's in Europe as he's mentioning Arendal. The TV18 might not be in the mix, in that case, I'd get the v1811. If he has access to a TV18, that would be a no brainer in this situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave!!

The issue here is the room to place the sub and the funds. So, I have to discard it, but agree with the comments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing he's in Europe as he's mentioning Arendal. The TV18 might not be in the mix, in that case, I'd get the v1811. If he has access to a TV18, that would be a no brainer in this situation.
Yes, you guessed well, I am in Europe:). The TV18 is around $2900 here,so, out of budget right now.

Then, in my small room you preffer the V1811 over S1510. Can you give me a reason? I am asking you this cause other people have told me that sealed (S1510) is better option than ported (V1811) for my room (1350 cubic feet).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, you guessed well, I am in Europe:). The TV18 is around $2900 here,so, out of budget right now.

Then, in my small room you preffer the V1811 over S1510. Can you give me a reason? I am asking you this cause other people have told me that sealed (S1510) is better option than ported (V1811) for my room (1350 cubic feet).

If you just want loud volume for music and movies, the V1811 is a good choice. If you don't need the pure SPL of the V1811 and you want some output below 20Hz, I think the S15 will do well for you with your room gain since you have a small room.

Do you know what volume you like to run at? Do you run your sub hot?

Reactions: SnatPeak

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The volume I run is between 61-64 of 99 (absolute). I think it´s about -20/ -18 reference level. Sometimes, depending of the track I have to adjust it a little bit more, other times, a little bit less.

By other way, I am using an Antimode DSPeaker II, the knob in the PB2000 is in the middle and AccuEQ put me the sub at +4,5/ +3,5.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The volume I run is between 61-64 of 99 (absolute). I think it´s about -20/ -18 reference level. Sometimes, depending of the track I have to adjust it a little bit more, other times, a little bit less.

By other way, I am using an Antimode DSPeaker II, the knob in the PB2000 is in the middle and AccuEQ put me the sub at +4,5/ +3,5.

I think the S15 would be a solid choice.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It´s a great sub, but I am asking myself if it is possible to improve.

I think it lacks the mid/ upper bass, I don´t feel that chest punch. But, aside of this, I´d like to improve dynamics, the bass quality.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

I think it lacks the mid/ upper bass, I don´t feel that chest punch. But, aside of this, I´d like to improve dynamics, the bass quality.

If you were looking at an S1512 instead of an S1510, I would say absolutely the S15 should give you more of that.

I don't have any experience with the driver from the S1510 so I cannot really say much there. It might be worthwhile to email Tom or hop in the PSA thread and ask about it there.

·
Registered
450 Posts

I have 3 of the PSA S3601s with a S3000i stacked on one in the corner , do they pack a punch? Yes , but not like when I had dual V1801s before we remodeled in a room a little bigger than yours. I distinctly remember the gunshots in Lone Survivor hitting me in the chest , now when I watch that scene it doesnt hit me the same. Granted it is more than likely my setup since I dont run REW and spend hours and hours getting things perfect , which with 4 subs it is most likely needed. There is plenty of punch when I crank the volume , but I typically dont listen too loud. It sounds like you are using an Onkyo AVR and my usual listening area for movies is like 40-45 , maybe hit 50 if Ive been drinking...It sounds like you are satisfied with the low-end of the PB2K , so the S15 would probably add a little to the low-end and some to the mid-range..The V1811 would add ALL to the mid-range where you are looking for performance , the 18" driver and port should make your teeth rattle...My current plan is to trade in some of the S36s and get a TV3612 , I am going to try running it with 1 S36 and see how it sounds. I am mainly doing it because the S36 makes a perfect end table and fits nicely in our room...My vote is for the V1811 , it will focus directly on the area that you feel is lacking.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I still own an S1510 and owned a pair of V1811s for about a year. For your situation, definitely the V1811 is the way to go. Yes the S1510 goes lower, but it sounds like extension isn't what you're after. In the mid/upper chest punch bass regions, there's no contest, the V1811 is far superior.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,739 Posts
The S1510 will have a lot more mid bass than your PB2000, A LOT, but you will lose a fair bit of output around tune 16-30 Hz vs the PB2000.

The V1811 will give you a nice boost around tune vs the PB2000, along with a strong increase in mid bass. So I agree it will be a better all around upgrade for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts