AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am curious did anyone ever do a comparison between these 2 subs? I want to know if the PSA V1801 comes close to the Ultra line or if the Ultra is on a different playing field. I'm not going to lie I love the look and finish of the SVS PB-16ULTRA design, so I guess what I really want to know is the performance noticable over the PSA or are you just paying the difference in price for the look and finish along with the SVS app that you get ? I do not want someone to just tell me based off the data chart who is better but did someone actually do a sub comparsion side by side ? Thanks in advance to all who respond

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The v3601 and v1801 will destroy the svs above 30ish hz to be sure. The svs has less than stellar midbass. Having owned the v3601 and having heard the pb16 in my room, the v3601 beats it on low bass but both of them chuff a bit if pushed moderately hard around 20 hz and below. Both have similar port tuning but the svs may be tuned 2 or 3hz lower ultimately.
The v1801 is quite some distance behind the svs below 30hz but absolutely stronger above 30ish hz. The excursion of the svs and that huge motor def best the larger 18" driver of the 1801 on the low stuff. Being that the svs is so inefficient and heavy driver, it's not good at midbass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I believe in room, once each is properly tuned, both the PSA and SVS will offer very similar performance.

Really the difference between the two is going to be outside sheer performance. The SVS might look better to some, where the PSA is more spartan, but that itself could be attractive. The SVS has a remote, PEQ settings and VTF adjustments. The PSA forgoes much of that, but does have a room size (LOW PEQ SHELF) adjustment. They are both huge, and have a lot of power for even the most hungry bass appetites.

So at the end of the day your decision might come more down to what's more important outside of performance.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The v3601 and v1801 will destroy the svs above 30ish hz to be sure. The svs has less than stellar midbass. Having owned the v3601 and having heard the pb16 in my room, the v3601 beats it on low bass but both of them chuff a bit if pushed moderately hard around 20 hz and below. Both have similar port tuning but the svs may be tuned 2 or 3hz lower ultimately.
The v1801 is quite some distance behind the svs below 30hz but absolutely stronger above 30ish hz. The excursion of the svs and that huge motor def best the larger 18" driver of the 1801 on the low stuff. Being that the svs is so inefficient and heavy driver, it's not good at midbass.

I'm not so sure the V1801 is some distance behind the SVS below 30hz. In fact, it might be right on par with it. In fact, from 16-25hz the v1801 is measured at 119.8, whereas the pb 16 from 16-25hz is 119.2. Individual tests at 16hz the SVS might come out on top, but that's taking very little into consideration.

But I agree after this the PB 16 gets destroyed. It's not even in the same league despite being over $1,000 more in cost.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have heard both now and will attest to the port chuffing being a real problem for both units with deep bass notes. The SVS needed to be pushed VERY hard for me to hear the chuffing, but the PSA could be made to easily chuff. In real world listening scenarios, unless you are trying to listen for their flaws you won't really notice them. I did prefer the tightness and punch of the PB16 more, but that could be factored by many environmental and equipment variables. Looking at construction alone, nothing is built better or more robust than an SVS Ultra driver. If you blow one of those you deserve a prize.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm not so sure the V1801 is some distance behind the SVS below 30hz. In fact, it might be right on par with it. In fact, from 16-25hz the v1801 is measured at 119.8, whereas the pb 16 from 16-25hz is 119.2. Individual tests at 16hz the SVS might come out on top, but that's taking very little into consideration.

But I agree after this the PB 16 gets destroyed. It's not even in the same league despite being over $1,000 more in cost.

Possibly, but at the same levels the PSA will sound like a snorting horse

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
For the price difference you could add another V1801 which will minimize the chuffing. Two V1801s for roughly the price of one PB16 seems to be a no-brainer

Reactions: Pulloutchamp

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

I don't know where you got the "16-25hz the v1801 is measured at 119.8dB" from, because even PSA's in house numbers are 118.2dB here. PB16-Ultra's 16-25hz numbers of 121.3dB by audioholics is +3 dB from PSA's in house numbers. When we measured the PSA V1801, from 16~25Hz the numbers were at least 3 dB lower than PSA's in house numbers.

However, I do agree that PSA V1801 will beat the SVS PB16-Ultra above 50Hz.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Are you guys really comparing a $1400 sub vs $2500 sub??

Doesn't really make since. The pb16 from 30hz and up is closer to 15v psa. From 30hz and below pb16 is in between v1801 and v3601. If pb16 was $1500 it would be a great value but it's not.

Compare audioholics output test of older generation rythmik fv15hp vs pb16. You'll be surprised that the numbers are very close. The fv15hp has much more output from 30hz and up. Below 20 pb16 has the advantage by a good margin. Also the output test of rythmik fv15hp from audioholics and data bass are of the older amp and driver. So you can add 1.5-2.5 db everywhere on fv15hp.

So look at the numbers now. Which one is better? Sound quality? Chuffing? Look? Options? Price? Warranty?output?

Of course for $2500 you could get almost 2 fv15hp. Now add 6db to those output numbers.

I'd put money on it too that fv15hp outperforms Psa v1801. If it doesn't for some reason there is the fv18 rythmik for $1800. Which would be a no brainer over pb16. Or a rythmik fv25hp for $2500. Which would be a obvious decision over Psa v3601 or pb16.

Or the obvious choice jtr cap1400 over svs. We can keep going. I probably could find 10 better options!!

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Based on data from Data-bass, audioholics, and our testing results, for output below 30Hz, I would rank them like this:

JTR Cap 1400 > SVS PB16-Ultra = Rythmik FV18 > PSA V3601 > PSA V1801.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on data from Data-bass, audioholics, and our testing results, for output below 30Hz, I would rank them like this:

You really think the Rythmik FV18 is better than PSA V3601 ???:confused:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No. I highly doubt it too. Even though the v3601 chuffs hard below 20 cycles, it's not at max output nor out of headroom. I'd put it neck and neck w jtr 1400.... the v3601 plays loud, it's just "underported" for its current drivers, Esp in movies like wwz or TIH at moderate levels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If PSA could address the under-ported chuffing issue with their new v1801 and 3601, they would have a legendary subwoofer. In the meantime the new Rythmik FV18 would be my go-to reference sub as I love the sound of their servo subs. At $1700 including shipping last I looked, I think it is very fairly priced and an SVS/PSA killer.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Psa v3601 is easily better then pb16. It's closer to rythmik fv25.

The fv18 will be tested soon and be shown to best fv15hp from 20hz and below but above that they are very close.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
You really think the Rythmik FV18 is better than PSA V3601 ???:confused:
Nope. That is not what I wrote...

Better or not is subjective.

PSA subs are known to be very efficient and capable of tremendous output above 40 Hz.

My numbers show that below 32 Hz, the SVS PB16-Ultra and the Rythmik FV18 have about 1dB less output than the JTR Cap 1400. PSA V3601 (based on PSA V1801 output +5dB) has about 3 dB less output @ 16 Hz and 1 dB less output from 20~32Hz than the JTR Cap 1400. Hence my ranking for output below 30Hz.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Psa v3601 is easily better then pb16. It's closer to rythmik fv25.

The fv18 will be tested soon and be shown to best fv15hp from 20hz and below but above that they are very close.
Output wise, the PSA V3601 is better than the SVS PB16-Ultra above 40 Hz.

What we found is that the Rythmik FV18 has slightly less output than the JTR Cap 1400 below 32 Hz and is very close to the FV15HP above 40Hz.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will say this, I believe if the OP or anybody is looking for high output in the ultra low bass range, say 1-16 Hz he should consider Crowsons or butt kickers, or Purpose built subwoofers such as Cap 4000, or Ghorn. It is my belief that almost all ported subs can and will chuff in these ranges when pushed hard regardless of manufacture. I'm not going to debate on which subwoofer chuffs before the other, but for me I never try and make it happen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts