AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a combination! I had an old ed a7s450 with a dead driver. Bought a PSA xv15se and then found the Dayton ultimax UM-18 driver on parts express and decided to buy it and throw it in the ed box with the LT1300 amp. Got both of these sub's going right now and holy crap! I haven't even run set up yet or played with positioning and I'm blown away. PSA is in the right front corner and the ED is in the front left. The output is insane with these two monsters. Solid, chest pounding, deep bass.

And I'm not done. I will be returning the xv15se for the new v1500 within the next couple of weeks. Should be even better with that.
I gotta say I'm really impressed with the Dayton driver. Powered with the 1300 watt amp it really puts out some seriously solid room filling bass. I couldn't be happier with it. Had to sand down the mounting hole diameter of the box a little bit but other than that it was a perfect fit.

I'm tempted to just keep the xv15se because I really don't feel like I need anything more or better, but I know if I don't get the v1500 I'll always be wondering about it. So in a couple of weeks I guess I will see what kind of improvement it makes.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
Couple of Dayton pics
Way to revive your old sub! How much of an improvement does the Ultimax appear to be over the stock driver? I imagine you could get substantially more performance out of it with a bigger amp..that driver can handle 1000 watts or more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man. The ED has been sitting around unused for about 3 years now. But from what I remember of it, this Dayton driver is noticeably better. Comparing side by side on looks alone its just more robust, better materials, heavy duty. The thing is a monster. And coupled with the PSA is insane. I feel like I'm breaking the too much subwoofer/intense bass law. Lol.

I've never had two subs before so this is a new experience for me. I have a 35ft sub cable that's being delivered on Monday so when I get that I will be able to find the best location for the ED and then run MCACC. But even right now as they are is bass like I've never experienced before. Not sure how much of difference I will notice with the v1500 but its supposed to play deeper, a little louder and have room size adjustment so I guess I'll see in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
Nice! I will just add unless deeper extension is your main concern, the performance differences between the XV15se and V1500 are minimal above 20hz. Tom even mentioned going over the DSP coding with Jim and revising the XV15se Bash amp for deeper extension and it will only cost 40.00 for the calibration. You might contact him about this and see what he says.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Congrats on reviving the ED sub. As far as recalibrating a plate amp for deeper ext., consider if you will have the necessary power to make it meaning. If the room is over 2200 cu ft, it may be a mute point. Deeper extension only means something if you have enough db/spl at the lower frequencies to make an impact.

·
Registered
141 Posts
where did you have to sand? was it the lower inside flange? to get the new driver in the old cabinet? I think I may try the same upgrade. I think the dayton driver has a flatter response. do you think you are getting more db output?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. I haven't been on this site for awhile. I had to sand the inside mounting diameter. The Dayton was just a bit bigger. I used some sand paper until the driver fit snug. I would say the Dayton driver is much better than the one that ED had installed. It hits harder and louder. And it never breaks a sweat. I love it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. I haven't been on this site for awhile. I had to sand the inside mounting diameter. The Dayton was just a bit bigger. I used some sand paper until the driver fit snug. I would say the Dayton driver is much better than the one that ED had installed. It hits harder and louder. And it never breaks a sweat. I love it.
thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts