AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used PSB 5i, and was very pleased with the performance, until it stopped working. I checked the fuse, it was blown, and replaced it a couple of times, blowing each new fuse.

I took a look at the guts of the amp, and nothing was visibly blown, not really sure where to go beyond this...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this? I'd rather not just send it away to be repaired, as I'm sure it will cost a fortune. If it does need repairs, I'd rather be a bit informed to make sure I don't get taken...

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/16941581

I recently picked up a used PSB 5i, and was very pleased with the performance, until it stopped working. I checked the fuse, it was blown, and replaced it a couple of times, blowing each new fuse.

I took a look at the guts of the amp, and nothing was visibly blown, not really sure where to go beyond this...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this? I'd rather not just send it away to be repaired, as I'm sure it will cost a fortune. If it does need repairs, I'd rather be a bit informed to make sure I don't get taken...

Thanks in advance,

Mark

My best guess is that your amp has a blown power transistor but that is only a guess.

Maybe you can get a schematic from PSB and using a multimeter you can figure out which component of the amp is bad. I have never actually done that but others on this Forum can probably give you more information.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/16941751

Thanks for the reply spyboy.

What can I do (if anything) to test this? Can I replace this piece myself?

Mark

I know this is contradictory to what I said before, however, you may be better off contacting PSB and shipping only the amplifier back to them. The amps only weigh like 5 pounds so it wouldn't be that expensive to ship to Canada if you had to. I don't know if any PSB dealers can do repairs.

Call and see what they say at PSB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally heard back from the authorized PSB dealer who my local guy deals with. Apparently the BASH plate amp in this model is really shaky and has caused significant problems for a lot of owners. He told me that PSB is not offering replacement BASH amps for this sub.

Thanks PSB!

So, I'm planning to buy another plate amp and swap it out myself. I'm looking at these ones from Dayton audio:

Dayton SA240 240W Subwoofer Amplifier

Dayton SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with Boost

Anyone have any suggestions on which of these to use (or if they are any good?) I've read some rumblings about Bass Boost technology.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.